Med School?

I am currently in grade 11 and I am in the IB program. I am getting good grade like a A average (in IB 35/42) .

I am planning on becoming a neuro surgeon.

I was wondering what do I have to do to become one?

From what I am aware I have to take Sciences first then take an exam to med school; then what do I do?

Is there anything I can do now, in grade 11, to prepare for becoming a surgeon?

Thanks,

A M

• oceano
    Favorite Answer

First of all, you don't have to decide what specialty of medicine you have to be right now. You have a long time before that moment arrives. Make sure to take all the advanced math and science classes you can. Once you get into college, you will have to declare pre-med and thus take the required pre-med classes: calculus, chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics. In addition, you will have to pick a major. The most popular majors are biology and chemistry since the pre-med classes more or less are the same prerequisites for the major. But it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you do very well. Medical school is EXTREMELY tough to get into. You need to have a 3.5 to be considered competitive and once you get to college you will discover very quickly that it's difficult to get into. You will have to take the MCAT, traditionally taken during junior year, which will cover all the pre-med subjects you have taken (minus math). It's a very difficult test. If you get admitted into medical school, the first two years are bookwork. The last two years are clinical rotations, and you don't have to decide your specialty until your final year of medical school. Then upon passing your board exams which will give you a medical license, you will do residency for about 7 years before you start practicing on your own. So as you can see you don't have to decide right now. Just focus on taking all the advanced science classes you can and getting admitted to college. Once you get into college you will have get through the science classes. You're in for a long, tough, expensive journey.... but with lots of perseverance and EFFORT you can make it! Good luck!

Well Im currently a junior in college pursuing a BS in Biology with a focus on molecular and cell and I would say that at 11th grade you should first focus on getting into a college for your undergraduate studies before worrying about becoming a neuro surgeon. One of my friends is a junior at UCSD and she is a neurology major and she hasnt even taken any major classes yet that are related to neurology and she's a junior in college. You dont really start your major studies until the later years of your undergraduate career. Who knows, you might even change your mind as you being to explore different subjects in college. Good Luck.

Thats good you already have your mind set on what you want to do. Next year you should take as many AP classes as you can. AP bio, chem, calculus and physics particularly. if you take these courses and youre able to do well on the tests, you will be able to take some more advanced classes your freshman year. if you dont test out of any of those classes make sure to take them during your first year. Also concentrate on extracurriculars, join honor societies, volunteer at a hospital, and just do as many things as you can balance. take the MCAT when youre ready, and make sure to do the whole application process early. after youre in medical school the first real step on becoming a doctor will be over. from there you can figure out if you really want to be a neurosurgeon and what your real chances of becoming one are, as it is extremely competitive.

I have no idea but I just want to come in here to wish you luck. Thank you for wanting to be a doctor. You will do great deed to a lot of people in this world. God bless you.