promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Rock16 asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Mitchell Report Question?

I'm only 16, so I'm not dumb, I just want to understand.

Why is this Mitchell Report so big in MLB. Until this report came out, I had never heard of this Mitchell guy. Who is he?? Why does his word seem to be the word that everyone is living by?? What makes him so credible and why is everyone jumping on any player named in it??

Thanks for the help!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

George John Mitchell, is a former Democratic Party politician and United States Senator who currently serves as chairman of the worldwide law firm DLA Piper and also as the Chancellor of the Queen's University in Belfast, Northern Ireland. That said iy all he is a Politican and they all lie so how true can this report be

On March 29, 2006, ESPN learned that Mitchell would head an investigation into past steroid use by Major League Baseball players. Mitchell was asked by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig to investigate steroids charges, mainly against Barry Bonds, brought by recent revelations in the BALCO (Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative) trials of Victor Conte and Greg Anderson. Selig has said that revelations brought forth in the 2005 book "Game of Shadows" were, by way of calling attention to the issue, in part responsible for the league's decision to commission an independent investigation. To this day he is known to have held meetings with only two active players, Jason Giambi, who was ordered to meet Mitchell by Commissioner Selig in light of his public admissions on the issue, and one additional player whose name was initially not made public but was later revealed to be Frank Thomas.

Mitchell released a 409-page report of his findings on December 13, 2007. The report includes the names of 78 former and current players for whom it claims evidence of use of steroids or other prohibited substances exists. This list includes names of Most Valuable Players and All-Stars, such as Roger Clemens, Andy Pettite, Miguel Tejada, Denny Neagle, Paul Lo Duca, David Justice, Barry Bonds, Eric Gagné, Todd Hundley, Randy Velarde, and Benito Santiago.

While a number of recent players for rivals of the Red Sox (the Yankees, the Orioles and the Blue Jays) appeared on the list released by Mitchell, Mitchell's report did not include the name of any player on the Red Sox roster as of the report's issuance, which led some observers to conclude he had "Conflict of Interest 101." [1]

Mitchell has taken on a role similar to that of John M. Dowd, who investigated Pete Rose's gambling in 1989.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's a good question.

He's a lawyer, a former US Senator.

He was requested by the British and Irish Governments to serve as Chairman of the International Commission on Disarmament in Northern Ireland. Which he was able to get them to come to an agreement. A fight that's been going on for decades.

He was also the chair of an International Fact Finding Committee on the crisis between the Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Senator Mitchell has received awards and honors including the Philadelphia Liberty Medal, the Truman Institute Peace Prize, the German Peace Prize and the United Nations (UNESCO) Peace Prize.

The problem that most people have is that he served as a Director for the Red Sox, among other organizations.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mitchell used to be a Senator, and he is currently a director for the Boston Red Sox.

I think everyone is talking about him because there's finally someone who is investigating steroid use in baseball. Before him, steroids were used by players, but players don't squeal (unless you're Jose Canseco) so it's hard to say who really used steroids, and who didn't. Lots of names have been linked to steroids, but no concrete evidence ever came up.

After the Mitchell report came out, lots of players that people thought were on steroids finally got linked to steroids. Players that normally said they didn't use sterodis or HGH finally admitted that they did use it after the Mitchell report outted them.

After some players admitted to using steroids or HGH, it gave the Mitchell report more credibility.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Former US Senator George Mitchell is respected by both parties for his knowledge and even-handedness.

You can read his bio on the link below.

People are jumping on the players listed because both the common citizen and the press find it easier to play the blame game instead of working to solve the overall problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This may sound contravercial but I believe that steroid use actually saved baseball. It was very blah after the strike year and the epic battle of Mark Maguirre and Sammy Sosa brought the fans back. The report is based on hearsay and come on, we all know there are a multitude of players who were never even mentioned. Lets move on and just play ball.

• 1 decade ago

George Mitchell is a former US Senator and former Board of Directors Consultant for the Boston Red Sox. The investigation began in March 2006 and the report was released last Thurs. And the report in my opinion is hearsay since there is not a shred of proof, other than the testimonies/depositions of a supplier and trainer (Radomski and McNamee).

• 1 decade ago

Hey what's up? I'm 16 too... lemme give you my perspective...

George Mitchell is a former US Senator. It's not just his word either... It's really the word of a couple of trainers. Most of the players named in it had previously been linked to performance enhancing substances or have since admitted... With that track record, the reason we're jumping on people who are implicated is just because the chances are... Mitchell was right.

• 1 decade ago

he is a senator

since a couple of months, he was supposed to write a report on players who took HGH and steroids and possibly anything that can hurt the human body. this is huge for baseball because it said that to 50 percent of players use some kind of enhancment drug. this has been a setback for baseball.

some big name players are: roger clemens, pettite, tejada, bryan roberts, bonds, and etc

• 1 decade ago

someone needs to come down from mars.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.