A Christmas Carol question?

I'm curious how much folks have paid for their copies of "A Christmas Carol."

A few years ago someone in my town had donated a lot of brand new Readers Digest editions of some classic literature. Titles included "Call of the Wild" by Jack London, "A Christmas Carol and Other Stories" by Charles Dickens, and "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London. Normally the books I purchase at the library are books their getting rid of for what ever the reason or their used books people brought in for the library's annual book sale that didn't sale at that time. So I was a little shocked to find these very nicely bound books in brand new condition. I was even more shocked because they were charging just three dollars for them. Needless to say, I grabbed a copy of "A Christmas Carol and Other Stories" as I wanted "A Christmas Carol. The looks of the book even now, I dare say I'd be willing to pay thirty dollars or more for it.

How much have you paid for your "A Christmas Carol?"

My copy isn't one of their select editions, Sandie. Rather it's out of their now cancelled World's Best Reading series. And it has elements missing from annotated versions.

Best Answer

Free? My books are all from the library or those book sales... and I just borrowed "A Christmas Carol", and all books from libraries here are free. If I were to buy it, I'd say it'd be at $1-$3. I don't mind it's condition as long as it's readable.

• ck1

I have quite a few copies of A Christmas Carol, but most were received as gifts. For instance, I have the Annotated A Christmas Carol which is fascinating. It was a gift, but I'd guess the price to have been around $30-$35. Most of the gift book versions of A Christmas Carol were probably on the pricey end. I also have a paperback version I purchased years and years ago for, probably, only a dollar or two. I has the entire story, but it was one of those "cheapy-type" paperbacks on sale.

I must say I'm impressed with John T's first edition, but I'd be nervous about reading it.

If you bought an unabridged copy for $3, that's great. If it is one of the condensed books, not so great. I hope, for your sake, it's the former.

Happy reading!

• Sara K

A neighbor in my apartment building was clearing out and left a box of books, so I've got you beat as mine was free. I have to admit that I had the same first reaction as Sandie to the mention of Reader's Digest, but if they were abridged versions of the books I'm certain they'd say so- sounds like you got a bargain!

• Sandie

I would beware of Reader's Digest editions. Yours may be fine, but they specialized in "Condensed" fiction. They would take both contemporary and classic novels and shorten them so you could read them in one sitting and get the gist of the story. Unfortunately this would require cutting out many important plot elements. It is sort of like seeing a favorite novel being made into a film and having your favorite scene missing.

I paid $23,000 for a rare first edition, but I'm ridiculously wealthy.