Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

What kind of cheese?

Is okay for ovo lacto vegetarians? I mean, that's not made with the rennet thing (whatever that is)......

Update:

The reason I am asking is because I found out some cheese are made of a substance from the stomach of the calf. That's really gross...

By the way, ovo lacto vegetarian is a person who eats dairy (including cheese)and eggs, for those who don't know the meaning of the word.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

While cheese is traditionally made with animal derived rennet, microbial and vegetal rennets do exist and are finding more ground in America than other countries. There are very few old world producers who utilize a coagulant that isn't animal based, but you can benefit from the following list that is excerpted from my book I've got due mid next year. This list is by no means complete as I need to protect some of my intellectual property for the fact that I've spoken with over 300+ artisanal and farmstead dairies across the country, but it is by far the most complete listing you'll find on the internet or in any book on the market:

Domestic Dairies that provide cheeses made with a vegetarian rennet:

Beltane Farm - Lebanon, CT

Bush Meadow - Union, CT (switching to vegetarian rennet)

Calabro Cheese - East Haven, CT

Cato Corner - Colchester, CT (Vivace uses Microbial, otherwise Animal)

Rustling Wind Creamery - Falls Village, CT

Appleton Creamery - Appleton, ME (Organic Veg)

Liberty Fields Farm - Saco, ME

Little Falls Farm - Harrison, ME (Have used Animal, Vegetable and Microbial)

Monroe Cheese Studio - Monroe, ME

Seal Cove Farm - Lamoine, ME

Silvery Moon Creamery - Westbrook, ME (originally used a veg rennet w/ good results, but found organic microbial to use now)

State of Maine Cheese Company - Rockport, ME (Organic Microbial)

Sunset Acres Farm - Brooksville, ME (vegetable for 10 years, haven't tried microbial)

Carlisle Farmstead Cheese - Carlisle, MA

Fiore di Nonno - Lincoln, MA

Hillman Farm - Colrain, MA (fresh uses goat or microbial)

Smith's Country Cheese - Winchendon, MA

Westfield Farm - Hubbardston, MA

Sandwhich Creamery - North Sandwhich, NH

Via Lactea - Brookfield, NH (calves rennet in one aged cheese, microbial in rest)

Cobb Hill Cheese - Hartland, VT

Frog City Cheese - Plymouth Notch, VT

Grafton Village Cheese Company - Grafton, VT

Neighborly Farms of Vermont - Randolph Center, VT

Taylor Farm - Londonderry, VT

Vermont Shepherd - Putney, VT

West River Creamery - Londonderry, VT

Willow Hill Farm - Milton, VT

Firefly Farms - Bittinger, MD

South Mountain Creamery - Middletown, MD

Catapano Dairy - Peconic, NY

Clover Mead Farm - Keeseville, NY (microbial, switching to cert organic microbial)

Coach Farm - Pine Plains, NY

County Meadows - Canton, NY

Gillis Acres Farm - Greenwich, NY

Heamour Farm - Madison, NY

Nettle Meadow Goat Farm - Warrensburg, NY (organic veg for chevre & fromage blanc, animal for kunik)

Northland Sheep Dairy - Marathon, NY

Painted Goat Farm - New Lisbon, NY (animal w/ special batches for family with microbial)

Bulger Creek Farm - Notasulga, AL

Sweet Grass Dairy - Thomasville, GA (animal for ga gouda & grn hill, microbial for rest)

Dona Blanca House of Cheese & Dairy - Saint Rose, LA

Mauthe's Dairy - Folsom, LA

Celebrity Dairy - Siler City, NC

Elodie Farms - Rougemont, NC (soft {less than 2 months} use synthetic, hard {3+ months} use animal)

Sleepygoat Cheese - Pelham, NC

Spinning Spider Creamery - Marshall, NC

Split Creek Farm - Anderson, SC

Locust Grove Farm - Knoxville, TN

Sweetwater Valley Cheese - Philadelphia, TN

Faribault Dairy Company - Faribault, MN

Cedar Grove Cheese - Plain, WI

Roth Kase - Monroe, WI

Farmers All Natural Creamery - Wellman, IA

Stoney Acres Sheep Dairy - Competition, MO

Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy - Ada, OK

Black Mesa Ranch - Snowflake, AZ

Amaltheia Dairy - Belgrade, MT

Drake Family Farms - West Jordan, UT

Rockhill Creamery - (only feta made with veg, the rest with calf rennet)

Achadinha Cheese Company - Petaluma, CA

Bodega Goat Cheese - Bodega, CA

Cowgirl Creamery - Point Reyes Station, CA

Fiscalini Farmstead Cheese Company - Modesto, CA

Harley Farms Goat Dairy - Pescadero, CA

Meyenberg Goat Milk Products - Turlock, CA

Sierra Nevada Cheese Company - Willows, CA

Skyhill Napa Valley Farms - Napa, CA

Three Sisters Farmstead Cheese - Lindsay, CA

Surfing Goat Dairy - Kula, HI

Alsea Acre Goat Cheese - Alsea, OR

Fraga Farm Goat Cheese - Sweet Home, OR

Pholia Farm - Rogue River, OR

Willamette Valley Cheese Company - Salem, OR (3 diff rennets)

Appel Farms - Ferndale, WA (veg rennet for all but one, an aged gouda only available on the farm)

Beecher's Handmade Cheese - Seattle, WA

Samish Bay Cheese - Bow, WA

Steamboat Island Goat Farm - Olympia, WA

Washington State University Creamery - Pullman, WA

As others mentioned, Whole Foods and other places are likely to carry some of these cheeses, but unless your cheesemonger is of a similar capacity in their passion for cheese they might not be of much help in finding something for you.

• 1 decade ago

Some cheeses are made with rennet or pepsin, both come from the stomach of a calf or pig. However, a fair few are made with microbial enzymes (seeing as it is cheaper) which is vegetable based and suitable for lacto-vegetarians. Just read the lable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Certified organic cheeses - I am pretty sure that one of the conditions for certified organic is non-animal enzymes. You can google that to double check but I've never seen one that didn't say non-animal enzymes or rennet free somewhere on the package. Plus products from Amy's and Annie's use rennet-free cheese. Annie's mac and cheese rocks!

• Maggie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I know that stores like Trader Joe's have a print-out you can pick up that lists all the vegetarian cheeses they offer. You can also try Whole Foods but I don't shop there as often.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Horn and Hardart ¼ lb. rigatoni macaroni 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper 1 ½ cups milk ½ lb. sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a 1-quart saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. With a wire whisk mix in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until a smooth mixture forms. Continue to whisk and gradually add the milk; cook about 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked macaroni with the sauce, cheese, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour into a buttered 8x8x2-inch pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top browns. More From This Book: Horn and Hardart Baked Beans Horn and Hardart Baked Macaroni and Cheese Horn and Hardart Rice Pudding Source -- Servings/Yield 4 servings Quick Macaroni and Cheese ½ lb. macaroni 2 eggs, beaten ½ cup 2% low-fat milk 1 tablespoon margarine 8 ounces Cheddar cheese Boil macaroni or noodles until tender. Drain well and return to pot. Add beaten eggs, milk and margarine. Toss to mix. Stir in cheese and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4. Categories: Source -- Servings/Yield 4 servings

• 1 decade ago

If you're ovo lacto vegetarian, you can't have any dairy product...so you can't have any type of cheese...although in the vegetarian aisle they have fake cheese and it looks nasty to me, but that's the only cheese you can eat.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe a yogurt cheese!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

anythin wifout rennet

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no cheese is made with the linings of a cow's stomach.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.