assisted suicide?

should family have a say so in a loved one that wants assisted suicide??

sorry .... i ment for teriminaly ill people

Favorite Answer

I believe in assisted suicide. However, I do not think that anyone besides the person that is considering it should make the decision. This is not to say that family and loved ones should not be brought in after the decision has been made. The only reason that I think this way is... Even though in our hearts we know this is the best thing for our loved ones our minds reject it. We think about how we are going to feel and what are we going to do, Instead of putting the patient first we put ourselves first. I am not saying all of us do this but the majority will think to themselves I love this person it doesn't matter to me if they are sick at least they are here and I can comfort them. Death is so final. I had to make the decision to have my dog put to sleep. It was the most heart wrenching, gut wrenching horrible thing that I have ever done. I knew that it was the right thing to do. I knew that he was not going to get any better and that he was going to get worse. I knew that he was hurting. I also knew that I love him, and was going to hurt when he was gone and I was going to miss him when he was gone and that he would never come back. I made the right decision and he passed peacefully away. It just about killed me and to this day I feel guilty over it. There is still that what if question. and did I do the right thing. Rationally I know I did but then Rationally I know I didn't. So if I am feeling this way over a beloved pet could you even imagine what a family member would feel like if they made the decision for assisted suicide. They would always question themselves like I do. I firmly believe that the decision should be made by the patient. Then whatever the patient decides should be honored and respected by his or her family.

Yes, but why would someone want the suicide. If it is for a health problem with no chance of recovering than it might be understandable