Fitness Requirements in Illinois for becoming a cop?

What are the physical requirements to become a cop in Illinois or anywhere? I will admit I am not that much in physical shape but I want to be a cop, will the academy help me get in shape and during college?

Any thoughts or know what the physical standards are? Thanks

• CGIV76
    Best Answer

This link should help you in answering your question.

http://www.chicagopolice.org/recruitment/recruitme...

Source(s): Me, retired Police Officer

One thing I find shocking is the extremely high number of fat, out of shape cops I see. If you want to be a cop, you should view physical fitness as part of your job requirement, just as it is for a fireman or military person. How can you do everything a police officer is potentially expected to do if you aren't in excellent physical condition? You can't. If you are admittedly not in good physical condition now, and you want to be a police officer, then you really should commit to a fitness program now, instead of spending your time worrying about what the bare minimum is. The bare minimum of physical standards is really a piss poor goal for somebody who would protect and defend his or her fellow citizens.

• Kevy

be able to run at least 3 miles, do around 40-50 pushups and over 50 situps

That's not how high the test standards are, but if you aim higher, you will have no problem with the test.

Good luck

It depends on your age group and your sex.

Males 20-29 years must be able to sit and reach 16", do 37 sit ups in one minute, bench press 98% of their body weight, and run 1.5 miles in under 13.46 minutes.

Females 20-29 must be able to sit and reach 18.8", do 31 sit ups in 1 minute, bench press 58% of their body weight, and run 1.5 miles in under 16.21 minutes.

Males 30-39 must be able to sit and reach 15", do 34 sit ups in 1 minute, bench press 87% of their body weight, and run 1.5 miles in under 14.31 minutes.

Females 30-39 must be able to sit and reach 17.8", do 24 sit ups in 1 minute, bench press 52% of their body weight, and run 1.5 miles in under 16.52 minutes.

In Chicago, you cannot become a police officer if you are not in the academy by the age 40. Not sure about elsewhere.

I do agree having to stay in shape is critical to you and the safety of your partner. The city of Chicago gives the same power test to all the officer who are willing and gives them a bonus if they can pass the power test.

Source(s): This is from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board

Their are requirements even getting into the academy. Physical requirements are required.

• ?

How fast can you get to the donut shop in the morning?

just 1 ...the ability to RUN not walk to the nearest donut shop