What should I get my new in-laws for Christmas? They're impossible.?

They're very well off and have everything they need and want, and they don't like anything that's not practical. They get dozens of goodie baskets from business associates, and personalized trinkets just aren't their thing. They don't shop or go out to eat (or go out at all), and neither use the internet, so gift cards are no good. They don't watch movies or listen to music. They're just impossible!

They just bought a new vacation home in AZ, so I was thinking something for that may-be? They have all the basics already, though. Mom likes gardening, but she can't anymore (she's got MS), and she has no other interests... Dad likes fishing and golf, but he likes to buy all of his own stuff. He's also a history guy but he doesn't need any more books -- he already knows it all.

I am so screwed. Please help. ANY suggestions are welcome.

• DR V
    Favorite Answer

Some exotic flowering cactus for their home or desert lawn might be nice. Sun hat? An orange tree? A book of Georgia O'Keefe paintings?

My dad has retired to the south to "golf his life away". I asked him who his favorite golfer was, then went and bought his putter! He was *wowed*, and this is a guy who doesn't get excited.

My in laws are the same way!!! You know what i did. I said to myself...if these people don't really need anything practical...lets give them something they could use. I made my inlaws nice throw blankets. And I know they will love them because it's somethign I made just for the two of them. Otherwise just get them a something small. Even though they dont go out to eat get them a gift card anyways...who cares....

Gift certificate to Pottery Barn, or Restoration Hardware, or some place like that where they can pick out stuff for their new home.

I just bought an e-gift card from one site, where you give them a credit card number, and the merchant sends a virtual gift card to the recipient you choose, which they can spend online. Takes just 24 hours to process.

How about a "sun safety" in Arizona basket with several sunscreens and wide brim sun hats and two of those light weave long sleeve shirts that are UV protectant-- throw in some bottled waters and flip flops or maybe a cactus for fun !

I think a house warming gift would be a good idea. They seem to like to stay home a lot from what you are saying. Remember it's the thought not the gift that counts.

Merry Christmas!

Why not give them the gift of your time?

You and your Significant Other can give them a night out on the town with you both!

Get tickets to a play or movie that you'd like to see, and expose them to some of the media that you and your S.O. enjoy. Or you could take them to a lovely brunch!

Moms and dads love spending time with their kids, so if you're wondering about finding them another tchochke, don't bother. Give them the gift of time with you, and build some memories for you all to enjoy.

How about getting her one of those new aero-gardens where you can plant anything and it grows right on your kitchen counter? And him, well, How about a magazine subscription card where he picks his own magazines (maybe a golf magazine) Or perhaps a digital picture frame with pics of all the family members.

I would just come out and ask them what they would like for Christmas. I have found that this works. If they seem hesitant you could ask them any thing in the way of clothes, household items, books, etc. Most people have something they would like, but better to ask.

Check out www.photo-tran.com and get them photo throw blanket or hanging wall tapestry for their house they will love it unfortunatly it is to late for Christmas delivery but hey the Day after doesn't hurt.

Buy them a nice picture frame and put a family portrait inside! They even have those frames that have multiple pictures. They can hang it in their new home.