What is your favorite holiday hors d'oeuvre recipe?

Every Christmas Eve my mother and I make a bunch of appetizers in lieu of a complete meal for the family to munch on while we play board games. We usually stick to the old family favorite stand bys, but I think it would be fun to branch out this year. Do you have any recipes you'd like to share? Thanks!

These all sound delicious. I'm going to print them all off then decide with my mom which ones to make. Since I can't choose, I'll just put it to vote. Thanks guys! :)

Best Answer

I think we're pretty basic with

LIttle Smokies in BBQ sauce

Sweet and Sour meatballs

Chili Cheese dip and chips

Veggie and Fruit trays with dips

Deviled eggs

Brie - slice off the white just from the top of the Brie, place on a plate with an edge that is a bit higher than the main surface of the plate, top the brie with freshly chopped pecans (I like them raw or toasted on top of the stove - either way is delicious), sprinkle LIGHTLY with brown sugar and then gently pour Kaluha over the top so that it is overflowing and surrounding the outside of the Brie as well. Then Microwave til Brie is softened - not melted, but soft enough to kinda spread easily. Serve with Crackers of your choice (I usually go for a fancy Breton or the like).

This is delicious and ridiculously simple and quick. People RAVE over this every time I serve it.

• Sookie

This is an hors d'oeuvre staple for me, and people inhale it. I have no idea what it's like with chilis or jalapenos in it since I can't do hot stuff. I'm glad I was able to find the recipe!

Hot Baked Cheese Dip

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 1/2 cups sour cream

1/2 cup cooked diced ham

1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped mild green chiles

finely chopped jalapeno peppers, to taste, optional

1/3 cup chopped green onions

1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 (1-lb) round loaf crusty bread

PREPARATION:

In a medium bowl, combine Cheddar and cream cheese, sour cream, ham, chile peppers, chopped green onions, and Worcester sauce. Mix to blend well. Set dip aside.

Cut a thin slice from top of bread loaf; set slice aside. Using a gentle sawing motion, carefully cut vertically to, but not through, bottom of the loaf, 1/2 inch from the edge. Lift out center of loaf; cut into 1-inch cubes, and set aside. Fill hollowed bread loaf with the dip; cover with reserved top slice of bread loaf. Wrap the filled loaf well in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Serve with reserved bread cubes, crackers, or potato chips.

Makes about 4 cups of dip.

Don't forget to pack the mumu again...'tis the season for gluttony!

RUM BUTTER CASHEWS

1 cup granulated sugar

¾ cup rum

2 cups whole, unsalted cashews

2 oz. butter

Bring sugar & rum to boil in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 minute, or until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees F. Remove from heat & add cashews, stirring constantly to coat w/syrup. The sugar will become white & grainy after about 30 seconds. Return saucepan to heat & re-melt sugar, adding a few drops of water if needed. Watch carefully; do not burn. When syrup has turned a rich caramel color (about 2 minutes) & the nuts sound hollow at the tap of a spoon, remove from heat & stir in butter. Turn onto oiled baking sheet, spreading out in one layer, separating any pieces that are stuck together. Cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Yield: 2 Cups

I am asked to bring this hors d' every where I am invited.

Garlic & Brie w/ french bread

Use Elephant Garlic if you can find it. Leave the skin on.

Take the whole garlic bunch and just cut the top off about 1/4 of the top. Drizzle olive oil, add basil and oregano. Roast until garlic is tender.

Melt the Brie cheese

Cut french bread into thin circles

Take a knife or cheese spreader - scoop some garlic out of the clove and spread on bread, spread some brie on top...pop it in your mouth.

Sausage Balls

1lb roll of sausage, can be flavored (maple, spicy,etc)or plain

2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup Bisquick

Mix, roll into balls, bake at 350 until brown

Cheese ball with crackers

1 8oz package cream cheese

1 2oz package thin sliced beef

1/2 onion

Chop beef and onion until fine, mix with cheese and let sit in refrigerator overnight. Serve with many types of crackers. The ball can be rolled in nuts for extra touch.

CHEESE & CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOMS

1 lb. (2 pt.) fresh mushrooms

2 tbsp. onion, chopped

2 tbsp. butter

1/4 c. soft bread cubes

1/4 c. crab, finely chopped

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. lemon juice

1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 c. white wine (or cooking sherry)

1/2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded

Remove stems from mushrooms and set CAPS aside; chop STEMS. In small skillet, saute onion and chopped stems in butter until tender. Add bread cubes and crab; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until lightly brown. Add salt, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Fill mushroom caps with bread stuffing. Place in 9 inch square or shallow baking dish. Pour wine around caps. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with cheese. Continue baking 8 to 10 minutes until cheese melts. (To make ahead, prepare, cover and refrigerate. Bake as directed.)

Creamy Vegetable Pinwheels

2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened

1 envelope of ranch salad dressing

2 green onions, finely chopped

1 pkg 12-inch flour tortillas

½ cup chopped celery

½ cup diced red or green bell peppers

¼ cup drained, sliced or diced black olives

¼ cup shredded carrots

In mixing bowl, blend cream cheese, salad dressing mix and green onions. Divide evenly among tortillas, spreading to cover completely. Sprinkle celery, bell peppers, black olive and carrots over top. Roll each tortilla tightly.

Wrap each tortilla in plastic wrap. Chill for a few hours.

Just before serving, slice each tortilla into twelve pieces. Serve cold.

Makes 4 dozen.

I have a good one for you..

Take crescent rolls and unroll them...cut each piece in 1/3...put a raw shrimp on it and roll it up...put on a cookie sheet and bake about 8 minutes, 350 degrees...them dip them in chile sauce...they are soooo good...they are easy and alot of fun.!!

I make them ahead of time and just put them in a plastic bag until I am ready for them...HEINZ makes the best dipping sauce for them...ENJOY

(1)Make a small sliced cheese and sliced meat tray--get some little cocktail bread(small like 2" square), cream cheese and other condiments--make little sandwiches.--(2) clam dip--2 cans clams drained--2 pkgs room temp cream cheese--1 cup sour cream--mix together---yummmmmmm!!!