Anonymous

A small company offers me a job...?

I'm working for a big company, my salary is ok but i don't know if they are thinking of promoting me near in the future, now i have a spectacular job offer from a lower profile company, they offer me a big raise on my actual salary.

Should i accept this offer with all the risks of being on a small company (lower stability, few opportunites, Etc..) Or stay in job and wait for a better thing?

Favorite Answer

Good question.

I have experience with this. I also worked at a large company and moved to a smaller one. It frequently gives you the opportunity to work in a lot more subjects than you would typically have at a large company. The security issue is the biggest drawback. Additionally, you may have a lot more stress associated with learning all the new subjects that you didn't face at a large company.

If you feel that you could reasonably and quickly obtain another decent paying job if the small company venture doesn't pan out, then I would go for it. If you need the security of your position that you have, then it may not be the best option.

You are right. The permanent job has way much more security. I know A LOT of people that have been told "the length of the contract will be....." and it was always cut short. Even myself in the same situation was told a contract would last 6 months, and on a Friday after 2 months the project was over. A recruiter and company can pull the plug on you at any time, for any reason. Unless you have it in writing that a project will last a certain amount of time, and that you will be paid for a certain amount of hours. always be suspect. There is no replacement for a permanent job. Congratulations, it may not be perfect, but you have a job in a world of a very poor economy right now.

This is always as really tough decision. You might want to explore the companies’ reputation; what are other people saying about the employer and do they have a high turn over. Besides the higher salary, how do the other benefit compare. Additionally as someone else mentioned if this is a small family business, this may be all well and good until one of the family members has an issue with you.

Do you have the entrepreneurial spirit?

Going to the small company has risks, yes, but it also can have high rewards.

You may end up loving your job for one.

The bigger company MAY promote you in 5 to 10 years. But they could hit a rough patch and can your whole department in two years.

The small company could fold in two years.

The main difference is that you expected and PREPARED for the worst with the small company, while you get blindsided with the big one.

BUT you got a fat salary those two years from the small company.

Light that candle and blast into the unknown! Enjoy the bigger salary, weather the difficulties of a small company, but appreciate the good parts more.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

What's the growth potential of this smaller company. Is the job they're offering a newly created job or would you be replacing someone?

Oftentimes, if you start at a rapidly growing smaller company, your opportunites for advancement are greater than at a larger company that has little room to grow and older employess are clogging up the ladder.

Is the small company a family company? If so, you will probably have only limited opportunities for advancement if you are not part of the family.

Still, if it is a better opportunity and better money, go for it, as long as it doesn't dead end your career. Will taking this job lead you to even better opportunities elsewhere (if not within the smaller company)? Need to consider those things as well.

I've worked for both big and small companies, and I much prefer the small companies. In the large companies, I felt like a number and not appreciated. In the small companies, I'm treated like I actually matter, and my work is appreciated. It's also good to see that the work that I do is actually accomplishing things.

I say go with the small company, because at some point, the small company will (hopefully) become a big company and you'll then have career advancement.

best of luck to you!

Go for the new job. You will have a better chance for advancement.

Go where the better money is and keep looking for a better job..