Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Does the MLB Mitchell Report affect your view on baseball?

Best Answer

It is a shame that players such as McGwire and Sosa, had their reputations savaged by the same Major League Baseball that they helped to rescue after the lost pennant race, play offs and World Series of 1994. This disaster was caused solely by the Owners and Bud Selig.

Owners demanded a salary cap in response to the worsening financial situation in baseball. Ownership claimed that small-market clubs would fall by the wayside unless teams agreed to share local broadcasting revenues (to increase equity amongst the teams) and enact a salary cap, a proposal that the players adamantly opposed. On January 18, 1994, the owners approved a new revenue-sharing plan keyed to a salary cap, which required the players’ approval. The following day, the owners amended the Major League agreement by giving complete power to the commissioner on labor negotiations.

The dispute was played out with a backdrop of years of hostility and mistrust between the two sides. What arguably stood in the way of a compromise settlement was the absence of an official commissioner ever since the owners forced Fay Vincent to resign in September 1992. Vincent described the situation this way: "The Union basically doesn’t trust the Ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Bud Selig and Jerry Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think that’s polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think it’s the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig." [1] Incidentally, on February 11, 1994, the owners greatly reduced the commissioner's power to act in "the best interests of baseball."

Owner representative Richard Ravitch officially unveiled the ownership proposal on June 14, 1994. The proposal would guarantee a record $1 billion in salary and benefits. But the ownership proposal also would have forced clubs to fit their payrolls into a more evenly based structure. Salary arbitration would have been eliminated, free agency would begin after four years rather than six, and owners would have retained the right to keep a four or five year player by matching his best offer. Owners claimed that their proposal would raise average salaries from $1.2 million in 1994 to $2.6 million by 2001.

Major League Baseball Players Association leader Donald Fehr rejected the offer from the owners on July 18. Fehr believed that a salary cap was simply a way for owners to clean up their own disparity problems with no benefit to the players. Many observers believed the strike put Fehr in over his head.

On July 13, 1993, Fehr said that if serious negotiations between the players and the owners did not begin soon, the players could have gone out on strike in September of that year, threatening the postseason. On December 31, 1993, Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement ran out with no new agreement yet signed.

June

As negotiations continued to heat up, the owners decided to withhold $7.8 million that they were required to pay per previous agreement into the players' pension and benefit plans.

The final straw came on June 23 when the Senate Judiciary Committee failed to approve an antitrust legislation by a vote of 10-7. According to Donald Fehr, the action left the players with little choice but to strike. "We felt in '94 we were pushed into it," said Donald Fehr, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association. "I still think that's a justified conclusion."

On July 28, the Players Association executive board approved of August 12, 1994 as the date for a strike.

Strike in effect

On August 31, three-and-a-half hours of negotiations with federal mediators produced no progress in the strike, and no further talks were scheduled as the strike went into its 4th week. According to then-acting commissioner Bud Selig, September 9 was the tentative deadline for canceling the rest of the season if no agreement was reached between the owners and players. The MLBPA offered a counterproposal to ownership on September 8 calling for a two-percent tax on the 16 franchises with the highest payrolls to be divided among the other 12 clubs. Teams in both leagues would share 25% of all gate receipts under the MLBPA's plan. The owners responded by claiming that the measures wouldn't meet the cost.

The rest of the season, including the World Series, was called off by Bud Selig on September 14. Selig acknowledged that the strike had torn an irreparable hole in the game's fabric. The move to cancel the rest of the season meant the loss of $580 million in ownership revenue and $230 million in player salaries. In 1994, the average MLB salary was an estimated $1.2 million.

McGwire and Sosa were classy, affable ballplayers, they were considerate to fans and were also very approachable.

McGwire belted 49 Home Runs his rookie year.

Mitchell is nothing to the sport of baseball. Maybe he's jealous that as a child, he tried out for baseball, but was not good enough to play the game. That's maybe why he has a vendetta against good players. He's also just someone bored with life and has too much time on his hands. If I was in his place, I'd take up something constructive like saving starving children or trying to fight AIDS, or something to that effect.....

I have no respect for his propaganda and think that he wasted his time and money trying to dig dirt on ballplayers that are a 100 times more classy and rich than he is.

Honestly, no. While some things are backed up by facts, others are not. I'm not going to go around stressing out because a player is on the Mitchell Report. When there's actual evidence that a player took steroids, then I'll have a reason to be upset.

The Mitchell report has not affected my view of baseball. What it has done is heighten my disrespect for that moron we call a commissioner because he's had 15 years to take care of this and did nothing more than shirk the responsibilities of his office.

• bissel

The rfile is a con interest to conceal BudLite's a** simply by fact Congress revealed him as a fool over the final listening to circus. Mitchell earned his funds from MLB, simply by fact he have been given federal businesses and District attorneys to squeeze 2 witnesses. How come tax funds and judicial officers time is spent on activities PR? As to McNamee, each and every time did a drug study flow in the incorrect path like this one? Rule is, have the broking roll over on the organisation, and keep going up the feed chain. This time? sell us a megastar consumer, and we permit you off. Pathetic! Clemens is a pink herring. he's out of the interest, and he made sufficient funds to purchase as many attorneys and as lots PR has he needs. until difficult assessments on random, recurring foundation are SOP, it is a circle jerk so as that no person particularly gets blamed, harm, or embarrassed until all of it blows over.

No. I still love the game of baseball and think we have to move forward and be up on all the testing, etc. for drugs and penalize as it happens. This will help the sport to go on. We can't dwell in the past. I am sure there were more on drugs than we know at this point. It is such a disappointment that so many thought they had to use them to compete.

No, because besides being a baseball fan I look to baseball for entertainment and these guys on roids have definitely made the game entertaining.

It doesn't affect my opinion; I will still keep my season tickets and go to ball games.

I have always felt that a majority of them did it to allow their injuries to heal faster so they can play. Do I agree with them doing it, no I don't.

Every pro athlete tries to get bigger, stronger so they can keep their job as there is always somebody behind them waiting to take their spot. Unfortunately, some of them have taken it to get an edge and as I said above, I don't agree with it.

No not at all. It disappoints me to see players who use steroids just to play well. But hopefully this will help. MLB needs to step it up on cracking down on steroid use.

no i still like the game and im not going to stop liking the game