Jewish….. race or religion debate?

In my previous questions I asked if I should view Jews as a race of people or as a religion. I can see with the hindsight of European history the dangers and sinister context of regarding Jew as a “race” of people, but several of the comments regarding has lead me to think about this notion deeper. As pointed... show more In my previous questions I asked if I should view Jews as a race of people or as a religion.

I can see with the hindsight of European history the dangers and sinister context of regarding Jew as a “race” of people, but several of the comments regarding has lead me to think about this notion deeper.

As pointed out to me someone can convert to Judaism (Ruth, in the bible…..ironically the name of my ex girlfriend who was Jewish and still one of my best friends who is probably reasonable for me even contemplation half the questions iv asked)

But from further reading there dose seem to be the over whelming feeling that to be “truly Jewish” your mother should be Jewish. This would lean much more to the context/structure of a race rather then a religion?

Disclaimer-
This will be one of several questions I will be asking about Israel and Judaism tonight, I apologies if any of my question come across as offensive as this is not my intention.
Update: paperback_writer - No offence taken, I have found all of your posts on my question very informative and take on bored what you say (after all you know a lot more about the subject then me!) but I still find it hard to grasp this notion of maternal inherited Judaism and its implication on the law of... show more paperback_writer - No offence taken, I have found all of your posts on my question very informative and take on bored what you say (after all you know a lot more about the subject then me!) but I still find it hard to grasp this notion of maternal inherited Judaism and its implication on the law of return………bloodline over belief if you will.
Update 2: paperback_writer - Thank you for the link. No, not doing a project. it’s just purely out of general interest. It’s very hard to find answers having few Jewish friends (5, and none could be regarded as remotely orthodox) I also had a lot of trouble from the Jewish father of my ex girlfriend over me not being... show more paperback_writer - Thank you for the link.

No, not doing a project. it’s just purely out of general interest. It’s very hard to find answers having few Jewish friends (5, and none could be regarded as remotely orthodox) I also had a lot of trouble from the Jewish father of my ex girlfriend over me not being Jewish…….since then I have had a more personal interest.

And being 28 I have grown up with the region being on the news everyday here in England and have noticed that the news reports have started swing in favor or the Palestinians dramatically over the last 5 years.

And I have always beveled a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.