Are there any modern author's whose writing is comparable to Jane Austen, L.M. Montgomery, etc.?

Hi! I really love Jane Austen, L.M. Montgomery, and authors like them. I haven't really paid attention to modern authors but I am getting to the point where I am wanting more books & variety. Are there any modern writers that are comparable to the "old masters" in writing quality, style, plot formation, etc. and still without the sex, violence, and cussing.

• ck1
    Favorite Answer

Though I would say there is no author quite like Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite novel), I would echo Georgette Heyer and I've heard that Joan Aiken is good.

There are many authors who have tried to continue the Jane Austen's stories (in one way or another); some successfully, some not.

Stephanie Barron, on the other hand, has chosen to write mystery novels that are done as though from Jane Austen's own diary. I love these novels, because you can actually "hear" the words as though they are coming from Jane Austen herself. She doesn't try to change the manners and civility of that period of time to reflect modern times; she's true to the period and the woman. The mysteries, themselves, are enjoyable. The first one is Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor. I highly recommend this series.

There is a novel called Later Days in Highbury by Joan Austen-Leigh (one of Jane Austen's family's descendants). This book continues the story of Emma, but from Mrs. Goddard's point of view. It is pretty good.

There are a lot of Regency romance writers who have written enjoyable books, but none come close to Jane Austen except Georgette Heyer (that I know of, at least). Still, you may enjoy these light romps by Jo Beverley, Loretta Chase, Carola Dunn and others.

Though it was just before Jane Austen's time, you may enjoy the novels by Fanny Burney: Cecelia, Camilla, and Evelina.

As far as Lucy Maud Montgomery is concerned, I can't say I know of any modern author who is quite like she. There are some writers who may have been somewhat comparable, but they are more her contemporaries than ours.

If you haven't read any of their works, I would recommend:

-Frances Hodgson Burnett (The Secret Garden),

-Kate Douglas Wiggin (Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm),

-Eleanor H. Porter (Pollyanna),

-Louisa May Alcott (Little Women), and

-perhaps Johanna Spryi (Heidi) and

-E. Nesbitt (The Railway Children) or

-Margaret Sidney (The Five Little Peppers).

I mentioned one book per writer, but most of them wrote MANY more books and not all children's stories. For instance, Frances Hodgson Burnett wrote The Shuttle, which I really enjoyed and which is definitely an adult book.

I do hope you find something you really enjoy.

Joan Aiken

Georgette Heyer

Patrick O'Brian

Elinor Lipman