mama asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My Cat Is Pooping Around The Litter Box At Least Once A Day.....?

My cat for some reason will poop all day in the litter box, except for the one time he poops on the floor around the litter box....its never anywhere else, just there....i didnt change his litter, i did change his food but switched it back when i saw he wasnt having a good reaction to it....i'm really not sure what to do i have 2 small kids and will end up having to get rid of him if we cant fix the problem, and i really love my cat so its not something i want to do.....until a maybe 2 weeks ago we had another cat, we got her after Buddy, she started the pooping on the floor thing, so we took her back, but hes still doing it.........he never had the problem before we got her, so i'm not really sure what to do, after i clean it i put vinager down on the spot but that doesnt work, tried bleach too, to try and maybe get the smell out.......its on tile not a carpet

i clean out the box on an everyday basis, i started doing that the moment they started pooping on the floor and when i had the 2 cats i did have 2 litter boxes but that didnt help either they would both ignore the one and just use the big one

i got both cats from the humane society so both were fixed when we got them, i took back mystic cause of all the problems she came with, that really sounds bad i know, but the 2 were just not getting along, and its runny stool...i might be able to deal with it better if it were normal poop, but its a big pile of runny mess, ss for being gross

Favorite Answer

Have had great success with Nature's Secret to get rid of the smell for human's and my pet.

I moved into a house that a cat had marked and using this stopped repeated accidents...it breaks up the enzymes that your pets (who smell it much better than we do) can smell.

It discourages repeat mistakes.

It should be available at most pet stores...I get it at Pet Smart.

You also may want to keep the box extra clean for a bit and see if that helps. Another good website for pet issues is warreneckstein.com

He visits my morning radio station quite often and he really knows pets.

Cats do not like foil. Place some foil all around the litter box and hopefully she won't go on the foil. It worked for my cat.

If that doesn't work maybe ask the vet for suggestions. I have also read that some cats don't like to poo and pee in the same box so you might want to get another box.

****UPDATE********************* I just read your additional details and you mentioned runny stool. Your cat is not going in the litterbox BECAUSE she has runny stool. Once you correct the problem she will go in the litter box again. If she has runny stool you need to take her to the vet and get her checked. If you want before you do that, you can add a tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin to her food. Also, don't give your cat canned food. Dry food is better for them. And I know it might seem expensive, but the better brands in the long run are the same as the cheaper brands because they will actually poo less. PURINA ONE (which has different formulas)is actually a good food that isn't ridiculously expensive. If you change food, add a little of the new into the old and increase every day that way you won't upset the stomach even more. Purina One has meat as the number one ingredient where as most other brands purchased in the stores have a fillers as no 1 ingredient which isn't very good for them and makes them poo alot. You'll also notice your cats coat will be softer and shinier. You can also get like $1.50 coupons in the Sunday paper. So try that and see how that works.

Did I understand you to say you brought another cat into the house recently? I wasn't quite clear on that. Cats will stop using the litterbox if they become stressed for any reason. (It doesn't take much to stress a cat). What kind of food are you feeding? Is your cat having constipation problems or loose stools? What is the consistency of the stool? I don't recommend putting foil around the litter box - that might cause him to not use it at all. How many bowel movements is he having a day? If you have more than one cat in the house the rule of thumb is one box for each cat plus an extra one just because. Is he defecating right next to the box? Or somewhere else altogether? If it's somewhere else (another room) there is a product available from your vet called Feliway. It has pheromones that can help with stress and litterbox issues. But first you need to find out is there is a physical cause for the problem. Take a fecal sample (collect is as soon as your cat has a bowel movement- don't wait for it to mummify in the scoopable litter). If you wait too long to address the litterbox issue it can become behavioral and much, much harder to remedy.

Source(s): 13 year vet tech

Several! 1) Clean the box to the walls once a week, and spray with Nature's Miracle, letting it dry before refilling. 2) Check to make sure you have no 'stains' around the cat box, and no littler spilled around it. Doesn't take much to become pungent. 3) Consider changing your litter to Fresh Results. It's pine based, so it doesn't hold odor as much as clay litter. It's also clumping, and much lighter, which makes disposal easier. And it's biodegradable! 4) Rather than pay extra for deodorizer, try sprinkling the bottom with baking soda, it works better, is less noxious to the cats, and cheaper, too. 5) Try a covered box with a built-in filter slot, this does lots to cut down on the smell. 6) Get another litter box! For some reason nobody understands, it's best to have one more than the number of cats you are hosting, And it cuts down on the concentration.

If you haven't had your cats neutered/spayed I recommend it. This will help calm your pets antics. They usually start acting weird when around age 1 if they haven't been fixed.

Try using a different type of litter box. My cat used to throw litter all over the place with a regular pan shaped litter box. Once I switched to an igloo everything was back to normal.

You did state that you clean the litter box regularly. Hopefully that is the case, because cats are very finicky and will not tolerate defecating in a dirty litter box.

If all else fails I suggest you talk to your vet. Something may be stressing your kitty out and he's trying to let you know.

Source(s): Worked at a vets office - Valley Animal Hospital in Van Nuys, CA

Daughter cleans little box on daily basis too. She has four cats, but one of them is really, really picky.

The one cat will poop on top of the litter box cover. Cat is telling her it's time to scrub the whole litter box. inside and out.

It could be the female cat was as picky as my daughters cat and Buddy picked up on that. Like you said, Buddy poops all day in the box and then once outside the box.

You may have to scoop out the box every time he uses it. At least give it a try. More work, but try it anyway. If that doesn't do it, then you're going to have to wash out entire box to see if that does the trick.

Maybe scooping out the box twice a day will do it. Then move to scopping three times a day and watch for results.

Could also try adding some baking soda after every scoop.

Give it a try, it just might work.

Good Luck

Try changing the litter, too. Give him those pine pellets and see what happens. If that doesn't help, maybe Puppy Pads or LOTS of newspaper around the box, especially if you love the cat and don't want to give him up. I also have a cat named Buddy, I feel for you.

How often are you cleaning it out? My cats will poop outside the box if they think its too dirty to go into it....which is at the end of every day pretty much. Clean it out once a day and maybe your cat will stop?

how often do you clean the litter box? if you keep it clean he will use it but if it smells and it has alot ofpoop he will use the floor its his way of telling u to clean it up cats are fickny creatures he may also be telling u the litter u use smells bad to him

Source(s): experience

get a litter box with a cover over it...one that looks like a carrier...thats what i have for my cat and she has never used the potty in my floor