Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

I'm planning a trip to Frankfurt, Paris, and Rome any tips on what to see...?

... how to get from city to city. Any tips would be great.

While my hubby is in Iraq I'm planning a trip for my parents and little brother. I want to make this trip amazing so if anyone could give me tips. Ex. What order to hit the cities and the cheapest way to get between them.

Best Answer

Hi there!

I love traveling throughout Europe – you and your family will have a fabulous time! You chose three great stops! If I were you, I’d either go from South to North or North to South, for example, fly into Rome, then take the train to Paris, then take the train again to Frankfurt – you can fly home from there. I suggest the trains because they are cheaper than flying, and you can take a night train!

Taking the train at night is definitely the way to go – you save money on a hotel room that night, and you don’t miss a day of vacation; you sleep the whole way and wake up in a new country! It’s awesome! Book first class tickets in a sleeper – they are really reasonable and quite comfortable! Each train is different, but they all have bunk beds and a vanity with a sink and mirror. Each car has at least one or two bathrooms with a shower at the front and back of the car, so there’s rarely a line to get in….but I’d suggest taking a shower at night just in case you run late in the morning – you don’t want to miss your stop! I’ve done that – it’s not fun! LOL =)

I found that the German trains are the nicest, and you can book all your tickets in advance on their web site, http://www.oebb.at/pv/en/, or by sending them an email. I’m not sure when you are going, but here’s an example itinerary for you:

Arrive in Rome on July 6th, stay 3 nights and 4 days

*Be sure to book a private tour of the Vatican and the Coliseum, otherwise you’ll wait in LONG lines all day! If you want help choosing a tour, send me an email – I can help with that too!

On Wed. July 9th you can take the train, which leaves Rome at 9pm then arrive the next day in Paris at 2pm. This train has two connections – your first will be at 7:30am, so you’d have to wake up early to get on the next train.

Once you get to Paris on July 10th, stay another 3 nights and 4 days

*While there plan to send an entire day at the Louvre – it’s amazing and enormous! Head up to the Monmartre to see a show at the Moulin Rouge, take a Seine River Cruise, climb to the top of the Eiffle Tower, take an other climb to the top of the Arc de Triumph, shop along the Champs Elysse, and walk through the Notre Dam cathedral.

On July 13th, leave Paris at 10pm and arrive in Frankfurt at 7am. This train also has a connection at 5am, so again, you’d need to wake up early. If that doesn’t sound appealing, you can stay another night in Paris, and on the 14th leave Paris at 6:45am and arrive in Frankfurt at 11:15am (a shorter route, only 4 ½ hours).

*I can’t help you with Frankfurt, because I’ve only visited southern Germany, and really suggest a trip to Fussen, where King Ludwig’s castle are – the castle Neuschwanstein is the one Disney modeled the Cinderella castle after – it’s BEAUTIFUL! You can see pics at: http://www.tompgalvin.com/places/de/bayern/koenigs... Let me know if you are interested in visiting southern Germany during your trip! =)

Once you spend the remaining days of your vacation in Germany, you can fly back to the states from there!

I hope all this info isn’t too confusing and helps you plan out your trip!

Emily =)

First off, Ryanair is the way to go for cheap flights. One-way tickets from country to country will cost you about 25 euros each. You can buy them at the last minute so, if you like to play it by ear, stay at one place, buy the ticket when you get tired of the area, and go to the next stop.

This might seem crazy since people like to plan out their trips well ahead of time, but too many people leave cities wishing they had spent more time there and less time in other areas.

Frankfurt: I've spent some time in Berlin, but none in Frankfurt. What I loved most about Germany were the bars and the landmarks. Don't leave without having a doner kebab sandwich.

Paris: Paris is a 45-minute train ride from the airport. A ticket is 8 euros each way, which can be paid for by credit card. There are great sites to see here, but avoid the Champs-Elysees (it's a big busy road that looks like any other big busy road in a large city), and Galleries Lafayette (again, nothing you can't see or buy at home). Spend a little time in the non-ticketed areas of the Louvre, unless someone is a big arts fan, since the Mona Lisa is tiny. See Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tour, and the small shops that line the streets. Walk along the river and enjoy the sunset. To get a feel for French culture, stop in a grocery store (I'm serious). You will be amazed at the original prices of products we import, like Boursin cheese, duck pate, and chocolate mousse. This would be a great place to stop for gifts to bring home (canned pate passes customs).

Rome: Rome is the home of the Trevi Fountain (bring 3 coins to toss), the famous Della Palma gelateria across the street from the Fountain, and the gorgeous Spanish steps. That said, all of those can be seen within a half-day and you should spend time in other Italian cities, which you can travel to by train. Cinque Terre is a gorgeous group of towns on the eastern coast and would be a great place to swim in the green waters of the Mediterranean. Though touristy, it is an unforgettable destination filled with colored houses. The Island of Capri is where anyone would build his or her dream mansion. Your family can enjoy boat rides, sightseeing, and plenty of souvenir shopping. Warning: the Italian like their pasta al dente, meaning with the center still uncooked. If this worries you, stick with meat dishes and lasagna. Don't leave Italy without 1) a cappuccino 2) a glass of fresh-queezed orange juice 3) gelato 4) a visit to the coast 5) the rest of your family.

I hope this helps. Remember: Ryanair for flights, the train for inter-city travel. Never hesitate to ask for directions. Good luck!

The advice to you is the same as to all the other Americans planning a whistle-stop tour of Europe: SLOW DOWN. You have five cities here and it takes a day to get between each. How much do you actually think you are going to see, particularly with children in tow? One week, two cities Two weeks, three cities or at a push four. Now, as the other poster said, go look on the lonely planet or rough guide sites and go from there. One person's definition of 'reasonable accommodation' is very different from another. Come back with more specific questions and you'll get more useful help.

• cimra

I would do Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Salsburg, Venice.

You would see more diverse cultures, the trip would be cheaper, you can drive from one city to the next easily. Easy to fly back to Frankfurt from Venice on your return leg. Prague is Paris as it was 30 years ago before being overrun with millions of tourists. Vienna was the capital of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and Venice is the only place of its kind in the world.

• Qmaus

I can only give tips on Paris. I just went there in October for the first time. I spent two weeks there and it was the best vacation of my life. I cried when it was time to pack and come home. It totally broke my heart to leave Paris. I could have stayed there forever.

I loved Paris, by the way; that city stole my heart like no other.

One thing you should do when you can is to take care of the superstitious thing. In the square in front of Notre Dame there is a rather unremarkable little spot on the ground called "Point Zero". It is officially the center of Paris. Here's a link to a pic on wikipedia to help you find it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Notre_dame-kilo...

Anyway, go there and stand on that spot. The superstition is that anybody who stands there will some day return to Paris.

You have already been told about Eiffel Tower and Sacre Coeur.

Go to Notre Dame. Go up in the bell towers so you can get a good look at some cool gargoyles.

Take the Bateaux-Mouches boat cruise on the Seine river. Bundle up for it. You will get to see a lot of stuff and they also pass by the mini Statue of Liberty which is on a tiny island in the Seine. It's the model that was used to make the one in New York.

Go to the Louvre. Sometimes lines can be long there. I recommend entering through the Louvre metro stop instead of waiting in line outside the glass pyramid. You will probably get in faster; I did. It's pretty tough to do the Louvre in a single day (even though it has been done). If time is short, remember that the three "biggies" in the Louvre are the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, and Winged Victory.

There's lots of stuff right near the Louvre, so stick around that area for a bit. Right near the Louvre is the Tuileries gardens, which is real nice, so check that out.

At the other end of the Tuileries (opposite from the Louvre side) is the Place de la Concorde (there is a ferris wheel between the Place de la Concorde and the Tuileries) That's where the guillotine was erected during the revolution. There are some lovely fountains there, and also at Place de la Concorde is an Egyptian obelisk, which is the oldest man-made object in Paris.

If you keep going the same direction, then once you get to the other side of Place de la Concorde, you will be at the be at one end of the Champs-Elysees, which is Paris' most famous street. If you walk down that street to the other end, you will be at the Arc de Triomphe. The tomb of the unknown soldier is there, and you can also take an elevator ride up to the top of the Arc. One thing to remember about getting to the Arc, DON'T CROSS THE STREET!!!! You can go UNDERNEATH the street using the metro stairs to reach the Arc.

Across the river from the Louvre is the Musee d'Orsay. This is a GREAT museum. I actually kind of liked it better than the Louvre, to be honest. I had no idea that I was an art fan until I went there! I found something new about myself! Anyway, Musee d'Orsay has stuff by the impressionists like Victor Van Gogh, and many others. You could spend a lot of time looking at the stuff there.

Now, when you go to Notre Dame, there's a couple of other things to check out in the vicinity. Just a few blocks west is Place de St. Michel, which has a lovely fountain. If you walk east from Notre Dame, cross over a little bridge to Ile de la Cite and look to the street corner to your left as soon as you cross the bridge. There's a little place there called 'Bertillon' (I might have misspelled that slightly). They're known for the best ice cream in Paris.

If you want to go off the beaten track, I suggest taking the metro to the Denfort-Rochereau stop and going to see the catacombs. It's kind of creepy, but fun. Here's a wikipedia link about it for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_catacombs

Another place to check out is Pere-LaChaise cemetary. Here you can find the graves of lots of famous people, like Jim Morrison (vocalist for The Doors), Oscar Wilde, Sarah Bernhardt, Moliere, and many others. You can get a cemetary map with the graves of many famous people plotted out on it at a few shops near the cemetary. I got one at a flower shop next door for just 2 Euros.

When I was there, I rented an apartment in a neighborhood called "Le Marais". It was a fantastic location on the edge of the 4th and 3rd arrondisements (districts). It's a very high-energy area with a great night life. My favorite little cafe/restaurant to hang out at was called 'Le Petit Marcel'. It's on the street "Rue de Rambuteau", which marks the border between the 3rd and 4th arrondisements. Drop by and say hi to the waiters, Jose and Francois, for me! (They're always there, I swear those guys never stop working, lol). Right across the street from that restaurant is also a nice little crepe stand; I used to like getting a chicken, egg, and cheese galette there for breakfast.

The last thing I have for you on Paris...

If you have time, go to the metro and grab the RER 'C' line and take it all the way to Versailles!! If you can do this, you absolutely MUST see the palace! The inside of the palace of Versailles is nice, especially the Hall of Mirrors, but the REAL TREAT is the gardens behind the palace! Wow! That place is just incredible. Give yourself at least two hours just for walking through the gardens, they're HUGE! It's so beautiful there; I really can't find the words to do it justice.

I probably forgot something, lol. There is just sooo much in Paris, and two weeks really wasn't enough for me. Two years probably wouldn't be enough for me. If you would like to see some more photos and possibly get some more ideas of stuff in Paris, go to my myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/qmaus and look at my pics. I took a ton of pics in Paris and put them all up there, separated into eight different folders, so there's a lot to check out and get ideas from. I also made two little videos with my camera and put them in my myspace page's video section. One is a 360 degree circle taken from the Arc de Triomphe at night and it shows the Champs-Elysees with the ferris wheel at the other end, part of the Arc de Triomphe, the tomb of the unknown soldier, and also the Eiffel Tower all sparkly and lit up at night. The other video I took was of the fountain at Place de St. Michel. I'm not very good at making videos because the camera was brand-new and I didn't know how to use it very well, but the vids are there through my myspace if you are interested.

<sigh> Now I'm crying again because I miss Paris. Happens to me every time I think about it. Have fun!

In Rome, go see the Vatican, and in Paris, go see the Eiffel Tower, the Sacre Coer, and the Louvre. Have fun!

In Paris soooo much history and beauty!

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp

In Rome there r so many great things to see but the 2 most important r

http://www.the-colosseum.net/idx-en.htm

and

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Pantheon.h...

Good luck and have a great trip!