who is the most forgotten 60s/70s/80s rock band?

what rock band from that era has been most often forgotten as a great band or more specifically, perhaps underrated for their work...the first name that's popping into my head is lynyrd skynyrd, their fame is tied to sweet home alabama despite it not being their best song and certainly not their only good song, it's overplayed because you can use it in any reference to the american south...you guys can probably come up with more names that i'm forgetting, so i'll leave the question to you

america's a good one, i can't think of too many people who know of them...blondie and doobie brothers also good suggestions

i'm aware that skynyrd is well known for free bird, but i am saying that sweet home alabama is their most well known song overall, because of its reception of significant airtime in the last maybe 10 years or so

i think queen and david bowie are well known enough to keep them out of this category, but mention of the traveling wilburys brings to mind tom petty and the heartbreakers as another name...also 3 dog night and seals and crofts good answers

any votes for the police possibly making this list?

foreigner i think is well known enough to leave off the list, they had multiple popular songs

Favorite Answer

Peter Frampton? Queen? David Bowie?

I thought the Traveling Wilbury's (supergroup w/Orbison, Dylan, George Harrison and Tom Petty) but they finally re-released the CDs.

Parliament/Funkadelic, not what they are now, what they were in the 70's.

If you want to go really deep, check out Spirit - "I got a Line on you" was their hit, if you can call it that. 60's era type psychadelia.

• Quatro

60's I would say, Donovan, Rare Earth, Vanilla Fudge, Young Bloods, The 3 Dog nights, the Grass Roots. Los Bravos, and Bad Finger

70's The Raspberries,Ten Years After, Seals and Croft, the Marmalade,

80's ELO, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Poco,and Meat loaf

• Little River Band

RTZ

Lynch Mob

TESLA

Firehouse

Dr. Hook

Foreigner - "Unusual Heat" album. Seriously, every song is great.

Mr. Big

Molly Hatchet

10 Years After

Three Dog Night

38 Special

Tora Tora

Damn Yankees

XYZ

Y&T

Night Ranger

Kix

Bay City Rollers

Mott the Hoople

Bauchman Turner Overdrive

There are tons of talented bands out of the spot light. I think that is part of why we like them so much. Over played radio songs have a way of getting to ya after a while. It's nice to hear songs that aren't continuesly talked about every 2 seconds.

Actually, Skynyrd would be best known for Free Bird. Sweet Home Alabama probably just popped into your head because of the recent movie by the same name.

Now, back to your question....

Radar Love......Golden Earring

Whiter Shade of Pale.....Procol Harem

Lucky man..... Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Here's a few to bring back memories. I think I'll let someone else continue.

Ten Years After immediately come to mind -just a great kick -azz rock n' roll band with a great guitar player named Alvin Lee

If you want to listen to something great find a copy of Cricklewood Green , fire one up , slap on a pair of head phones and listen to 50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain

In a slight more mellow vein

Little Feat was a great and forgotten band

listen to Waiting For Columbus

Sadly Poco and The James Gang got over shadowed by what I think is an inferior band spin-off band called the Eagles

honorable mention:

Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen-

Just good-time rockin and rollicking music

and also

Mountain

Source(s): me

The MC5, Thin Lizzy, and Cheap Trick.

I'm serious, people actually don't know these bands.

I agree with Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sweet home Alabama" was not their best song. some people consider it a one hit wonder.

Never label them that.

they were a great band.

as are the rest I named

Dr. Hook

Red Ryder

Van Morrison

Eric Burden & the Animals

Bill Withers - Lean on Me

The Little River Band

Peter Frampton

Heart

UFO

Rory Gallagher

Angel

Yes

Dr Hook

The Band

Nazareth

Deep Purple

Doobie Brothers and Bad Company two great bands with some good music.

• Lefty

Dire Straits