Why is my desktop empty? Suddenly there are no icons on my desktop, the background is there. Help please!?

So my computer was on standby and all of the sudden when we looked at it there was the desktop, with no icons. I turned the computer on and off and the desktop loaded, then the icons disppeared. I have a Compaq Notebook C304NR. I'm completely comptuter challenged. Any idea what's going on? The way... show more So my computer was on standby and all of the sudden when we looked at it there was the desktop, with no icons. I turned the computer on and off and the desktop loaded, then the icons disppeared. I have a Compaq Notebook C304NR. I'm completely comptuter challenged. Any idea what's going on? The way I'm on the internet is some privacy protector ad came up on the desktop and I clicked on it, then typed in yahoo. There still is no desktop.
Update: Ok I have tried right click, nothing happens. Also I did ctl+alt+ delete, a message says my task manager has been disabled. I didn't do it. Is this a virus? And if so is there anyway to salvage what's I've saved.