Do you think that male vegetarians get picked on more than female vegetarians?

Some people like to give vegetarians as a whole grief for their dietary choices. But do you think that vegetarian men get it more than the vegetarian women do?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't know...

I've heard female vegetarians referred to as "tree-huggers".

On the other hand, I've been referred to as a "tofu fartin' tree-huggin' pinko commie fairy".

On a more serious note, there aren't many vegetarians (about 3% in America) and veg*n women outnumber veg*n men 2 to 1. Basically, male vegetarians are a minority within a minority. If they're vegan, I guess they would be a minority within a minority within a minority. It's easy to make fun of a particular group when you outnumber them 100 to 1.

Source(s): The veg*n male motto: Never mistake my kindness for weakness.
  • 3 years ago

My husband is a at once male. he's 36 and he has been a vegan for 14 years. he's 6 ft tall, and one hundred seventy five lbs. he's have been given a super abdomen and advantageous pecks as because of the vegetables and Kenpo Karate. i comprehend 2 extra at once male vegetarians so upload 3 extra on your record. i think of that extra adult men could be vegetarians in the event that they did not connect manliness to eating meat. various adult men think of they ought to take a extensive glob of bloody steak and swallow it finished to coach how manly they are. i in my view think of that it takes a real guy to take a stand for the animals. A vegetarian or vegan guy has the capability to abstain from merciless food and the self administration to not provide in to our societies extraordinary hang up with meat. And it extremely is barely a delusion that vegetarian adult men are vulnerable and pail. My husband can throw somebody heavier than him onto the floor in Karate and that i comprehend he could preserve me no be counted what. the affection he provides me is so organic and actual. no person has ever given me that form of love earlier. he's the only vegetarian I even have ever been with. It makes me think of that perhaps he loves in a fashion that basically a vegetarian guy can love. whilst i think of approximately how some adult men are not afflicted via the suffering of harmless animals, i ask your self how they might love a woman. How ought to they have such little regard for harmless animals and then turn around and be humane and loving to their spouse or female pal. Does that help in any respect?

• 1 decade ago

I am a former classically trained french chef, from Canada, I worked all over the country and a few exotic places in my 20 + yr career, and most men were raised as meat eaters, with the mother's cooking and them eating what was put in front of them, developing an alternative lifestyle toward vegetarianism is harder, and women by most sences are more compassionate, trusting and have more stable convictions when it comes to ethical issues.

I became a vegetarian 4 yrs ago when my doctor put me on a calorie reducing diet because of my diabetic condition, I do eat the ocassional egg, some cheese, fish in the form of tuna and some artifical crabmeat and occasional fish and chip dinner. The male respondants are quite correct, and it is a lifestyle change that most men cannot grasp, they have been raised to feel anything other than meat is for sissy's, they should be more socially respectful like women and see the bigger picture, I am 50 and hope with my changes to see retirement even though I am also on a disability.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are just less male vegetarians, since women seem to be more concerned about health than men. But I don't know about getting picked on, I've never observed it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. According to some Neanderthals, you're some kind of big manly man if you eat meat. According to those same Neanderthals, if you eat only vegetables, you're some kind of wimp.

However, if you eat meat, most likely, you didn't kill it yourself You're just eating the efforts of some minimum wage grunt who didn't kill your food properly nor who gave enough of a d*mn to make sure your food was safely killed. You're just eating something somebody else killed which might give you a nasty infection.

Since you're eating animal fat, which goes straight to your arteries, you're killing yourself for an illusion of manliness and toughness. I'd rather have my soy burgers, thank you.

My manliness comes from the fact that I've been doing martial arts for 3 years, I aggressively ride my mountain bike in places god would send Osama Bin Laden to after he dies and I work out every day in a weight room, not from eating the carcass of a dead animal.

:David H- Don't you EVER call yourself a vegetarian again. You're not a vegetarian. If you eat any kind of meat, including fish, you. are. a. an. omnivore.

• 1 decade ago

Vegetarians get picked on? :P I wouldn't imagine vegetarian men would get any more grief than vegetarian women.

• 1 decade ago

I think it's about equal but vegans even more so. I wish that people did not feel the need to criticize other people so much. Men probably advertise it less, that has been my experience.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. For some reason many morons think it's "manly" to eat meat. Not quite sure what the hell that's about. The dominating-just-because-i-am-man! thing is a little too neanderthalish for me. UG! ME DUMBASS! ME KILL THINGS!

• 1 decade ago

I sometimes think that is true. Here is a very interesting link I came across. It talks about how and why people view meat as being masculine and vegetables as being feminine.

• 1 decade ago

I've been veg. for 20 years and no one has really ever "picked on" me.

(I'm a guy.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.