Why does Starbucks call their drink sizes tall, grande, and venti?

It makes no sense to me at all. Doesn't grande mean large? And why would any company name their smallest drink "tall"? What is funny, is that there small drink is called tall, yet its the shortest cup they have. Makes no sense, hoping someone could explain this.
Update: Okay, so I understand that they do it to make themeselves and their customers feel more sosphisicated. But still, their small is called a tall, yet its the shortest cup they have. That will never make sense to me, no matter how long I live. And the grande, sound like a large one, right? Wrong, their grande is... show more Okay, so I understand that they do it to make themeselves and their customers feel more sosphisicated. But still, their small is called a tall, yet its the shortest cup they have. That will never make sense to me, no matter how long I live. And the grande, sound like a large one, right? Wrong, their grande is actually their medium. I'm sure there are other words that sound better that would actually mean what they represent.