What do you think about Rich Rodriquez accepting and being the University of Michigan's new football coach?

Favorite Answer

Ok ok, he's out for his self, yatta yatta yatta. SO WHAT? Everybody is out for themselves!!!! What he did is no different than Petrino with the Falcons and even our beloved Nick Saban. The voters for the BCS place teams in games based on who generates that most profits as opposed to who is the most deserving. EVERYBODY is out for themselves. That is what the game has come to so why should he be any different? Voters screw deserving bowl teams, coaches screw programs at all levels and players vehemently give commitments and turn around and go eslewhere. It happens. At UM he will be able to recruit big name talent, bring the Michigan playbook into the 21st century and not to mention the talent that he is inheriting. Anyone with a brain knows that UM is loaded with talent, but for some reason under Carr, it was not being developed. Rodriguez might be able to change all of that. He will be able to get better players, has better facilities, a bigger recruiting pipeline and more money. Why would he not take the job? I don't know how the spread is going to work with a 6 foot 7 inch 260 pound quarterback with a rocket arm and average speed at best, but hey, we'll see. I just hope Rodriguez utilitzes Mallet and keeps him. He is the truth and and he will go somewhere else and become an passing juggernaut. Im interested in seeing how this will play out myself.

• Carol

I wouldn't mind seeing Les Miles get it but the thing is that the University of Michigan would have to pay 1.5 million dollars to get him because its in his contract at LSU. And that is what Lloyd Carr doesnt want is for the university to have to pay that. If Les Miles don't get it UM should go with a non-michigan person. Someone who has head coaching experience and is good coach with a winning record and well known. IMO

Great for Rich. Bad for Michigan. He'll be successful his 1st five years. Then the big ten willl figure out how to defend his offense.

Then he will either leave or you will see a steady decline in his winning %.

• DGS

I think he'll regret the decision. Everybody always thinks the grass is greener on the other side, only to find out that it's not. The guy I always think about is Mo Vaughn...he had it made in Boston and then he left for more money and went to the Angels and his career just kind of died. I've always liked Michigan, and I've always hated Ohio State, but part of me hopes he falls on his face.

Source(s): WVU alum

I think that, if what I've heard is true, it's the shadiest coaching change in the history of the game.

Rich goes and talks to the Michigan AD, without informing his players or his own boss, Ed Pastilong, that he was going. That, my friends, is not within the rules, and Michigan will be paying some sort of fine/penalty because of it.

On top of this, Rich also called the #1 QB recruit (Terrelle Pryor) and informed him that he was leaving WVU to take over the position at Michigan, and that he wanted him to follow him to Ann Arbor and be his quarterback... No big deal? Wrong. He called Pryor before he told his players he was leaving.

Essentially, Rich Rodriguez was recruiting for Michigan while still employed by West Virginia. That's unethical, in every sense of the word.

I thought Rich was a class act until the Alabama debacle last season. Now, it's obvious that Rich Rodriguez looks out for one man, and one man only... and that's Rich Rodriguez.

Caught me by suprise. I didn't think he was in the picture. He's about as good a coach as they could have hoped to hire. He'll have to hit the recruiting trail asap and improve his defense, especially their cornerbacks.

it will be interesting. wvu was a terrible place to recruit and rodriguez was able to get several 4 and 5 star players to commit. it will be interesting to see what he can do with the level of talent that michigan's name gets without him even trying.

but WVU is not so bad off they have played for the national title 3 times in my life and that was under don nehlen. all rod did was win the one sugar bowl and beat louisville i think those were the only 2 games he won at wvu where the mountaineers were not the favorite

It was a step up for him. Let's be honest, there was nothing more he could have done to improve WVU.

I think he'll do a good job ......

I use to think that Rich Rod was a pretty good coach, but if you judge his work on the coaching that he did in the WVU/Pitt game, I don't think he is a fit for anyone. Not saying it was 100% his fault, but the fact that his coaching in that one game did not match his style in any previous game or years, it makes you wonder, if he a) really sucks or b) threw the game on purpose to make it easier to leave WVU for that extra half million a year? I am sure that he wouldn't be leaving so soon if WVU would have won the Pitt game. Sure makes me wonder. While it is sad that coaches don't really care for the players, the school, the fans or themselves, I understand that they make decisions that is best for their family in terms of money, but it's just sad. He shoudl think about the players lives as well. This is their future as well. I think that he should have had enough class to at least talk to the school and the players first. He owed them that. The players, the school administrators, the fans, everyone in WV put their trust and respect in Coach Rod, he should have at least gave the players and the school the same respect, esp being his home. While Michigan is excited now, at least WVU won't be wondering who their coach is going to be at the end of every year. If he screwed his home town this bad, just think of what the man is capable of doing to Michigan. If Michigan fans think that it won't happen, think again. We never thought it would happen either.

Plus, if he really cared about his family, he would stop using the same sad line about his son choosing to go to whatever school he chooses at that time. He said the same thing about his son going to WVU in 2017 then said the same thing about his son going to Michigan 2017. If he keeps burning all these teams, his son will have to play volleyball at a nice community college somewhere.

Plus his statement about not coaching the bowl game because he didn't want the focus to be on him. Was he really serious about that statement? Did he really think that by tomorrow, everyone is going to forget what happened? The players lost someone they respected and everything is suppose to be ok. He is just a sad man. I hope he buys some self respect with that half million a year. WVU will be ok without him. Those guys are great and their fans are the strong and loyal and will back them 100%.