how does exercise reduce anxiety?

how does exercise work to reduce anxiety when it also provides people with more energy?

Isn't the problem with anxious individuals that they have too much (nervous) energy?

Please explain!

Best Answer

yes it does help..

exercise takes your focus off what's bothering you and hey it's just good in general.. exercise also releases serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine and a few other nuerotransmitters in your brain.. serotonin is believed to influence mood.. it also plays a role in the regulation of anger, aggression, body temperature, sleep, vomiting, sexuality and appetite.. norepinephrine is a stress hormone and it plays a large part involving attention and focus.. it's also involved with the body’s fight or flight response, which is what our body experiences when put under stress.. dopamine is associated with pleasure, happiness, and motivation.. exercise also releases endorphins which are the body's natural pain killers..

exercise helps to balance your brain chemisty..and it has been clinially proven to work faster and longer than medication for treating anxiety and depression.. taking a twenty minute walk each day could really help..

exercise is an instant mood enhancer.. some of the positive effects of exercise on anxiety are: enhanced body image, relief of stress and frustration, improved physical health, help to sleep better, a feeling of accomplishment, and a better sense of control..

as for energy.. putting your nervous energy towards exercise is a good way to diminish it.. the energy you receive from exercise will be a more positive one..

i really hope this helps.. and best of luck..

Source(s): experience (anxiety, ocd, depression, insomnia) clinical psychology major..

exercise helps with anxiety; here's how:

when you exercise, your body releases endorphins (the feel good hormone) which is why exercise helps with depression. these same endorphins that make you feel good (if you've heard of runner's high) also make you not feel anxious.

the issue with exercising giving you more energy is different than the issue of the endorphins, and by the way, anxiety doesn't mean you have too much energy, if means that you feel uncomfortable and feel like you need to do something, and if you had more endorphins like from exercising, the anxiety would go down.

• CB

No anxiety has nothing whatsoever to do with energy levels. In fact, people with high anxiety are often quite sedentary and do not have 'nervous' personalities at all. But exercise works by causing the body to release more endorphins (feel good chemicals).

I'm no professional so I can only speak from personal experience. My daughter and her father are both hyperactive people. My daughter was diagnosed verrrry early in life and the best piece of advice her doctor gave me was to make sure she got at least an hour of good physical activity a day. Her dad had anxiety problems, took stuff like Xanax, and ignored it when the doctors told him to go exercise instead of watching some action movie that would increase his adrenaline level. (I don't know how he's doing now because we divorced 20 years ago.) I have problems with depression. I believe that physical activity helps me because of the endorphins. I believe physical activity helps people like my daughter because they're bodies require that activity to burn off their "nervous" energy. I KNOW that she can't function in a sit down job. Right now she delivers pizza, but she's seriously considering becoming an RN. That would give her job that would work her mind AND her body, so I encourage her in her dream.

Recently, most experts have agreed that a moderate to low amount of regular exercise can ease personal tension and stress. However, a new study by researchers at the University of Missouri-Columbia shows that a relatively high-intensity exercise is superior in reducing stress and anxiety that may lead to heart disease. Moreover, the researchers found that high-intensity exercise especially benefits women.

“Conventional wisdom says that exercising for 30 minutes at a moderate exercise intensity is more effective in reducing anxiety than either a low or high intensity dose,” said Richard Cox, professor of educational and counseling psychology and leader of the study. “This conclusion, however, is deceptively simple because reductions in anxiety are not always observed immediately following a high intensity bout of exercise.”

In the study, female participants, ages 18 to 20 and 35 to 45, completed three experimental sessions. Each session started with a test to determine the anxiety level of the participant. Following the test, the women either did not exercise (control condition) or exercised at a moderate or high-intensity level for 33 minutes. After the session, Cox measured anxiety levels at 5, 30, 60 and 90 minutes post-exercise.

Although all three exercise conditions, including the control condition, showed a decline in anxiety over time, Cox found the high-intensity level experienced the sharpest decline. Cox said the intensity of exercise conditions did not differ in anxiety levels at baseline or immediately after exercise, but a difference favoring the high intensity level emerged at 30, 60 and 90 minutes post-exercise.

Results also showed that when the iron status of the women was taken into consideration, the beneficial effect of high-intensity exercise was greater for the older women.

“This is a relationship that needs to be further explored,” Cox said. “It appears to suggest that after controlling for iron status, the beneficial effects of exercise on anxiety may only apply to older women and not to younger women.”

Cox believes this study, which is scheduled for publication in the Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, will prove beneficial to medical practitioners in the fight against heart disease.

When you exercise, your body releases hormones called endorphens. Endorphens are the body's natural morphine. It helps eliminate pain that is felt during physical activity, and also gives the feeling of eurphoria. This is what causes "runner's high" The eurphoric sensations is what is responsible for reducing anxiety.

Source(s): degree in health

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

how does exercise reduce anxiety?

Please explain!

Source(s): exercise reduce anxiety: https://biturl.im/mBgz9
  • DMG

The exercise works off stress hormones and releases endorphins which create a sense of well being. The energy you get from exercise is a good productive kind.

• Jon

It focuses the mind on something productive, which is the exercise activity. Instead of worrying about all the troubles, people usually just like to focus on other things, like exercise. Exercise is just one of the many methods people use to reduce stress.

Exercise build endorphins (I hope that I spelled that correct, its the things that make you happy) Although exercise helps I think that doing dishes, watering plants, or any kind of cleaning helps the most. Its therapeutic.