Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Pens-Flyers outdoor game?

Hey my mom sent me this article and I was just wondering if any o you had more information

"Loose pucks: Get out your toques and mittens. The Flyers are looking into staging an outdoor game against the Pittsburgh Penguins next season at Penn State's Beaver Stadium in Happy Valley. Talks with the NHL are very preliminary, but team president Peter Luukko and general manager Paul Holmgren are pushing for league approval to play the first-ever outdoor game in the 107,282-seat stadium. . . ."

I should add that I live about a mile from Beaver Stadium, so if this happens it will be the happiest day of my life.

This game could also potentially set the attendance record for any hockey game

Fugu- Actually the Penn State Ice Rink is about a quarter mile away, I like cold weather, I am 21, and you are a *********** douchebag

You gave this answer a low rating: Hide

To sit in a giant concrete bowl of a football stadium in the middle of winter weather miles from the rink would be the happiest day of your life? What are you--6 years old?

It's overpriced and a total gimmick. Watch it on TV.

Favorite Answer

I haven't see anything in the papers around Philly, but if it is announced, I'll be there.

Oh, thanks Erica, that was nice of you. If it becomes a reality and it gets pretty cold out there, I'll keep you warm. ;)

I will be looking forward to meeting some Regulars there.

Source(s): Veteran of many outdoor events in cursedly cold weather. I also lke camping in winter. Tents, campfires, icicles hanging from my coffee mug........heartwarming.

Like you, I also live in State College, about two miles from Beaver Stadium. I'm a die-hard Pens fan, and if this would happen, I would get tickets to go to the game, even knowing I'd be paying top-dollar. I'd be one of the biggest advocates, and already I've sent the NHL.com story to a few colleagues and friends.

The potential problems I'm seeing are these:

1. Will the grounds crew really be willing to cover Beaver Stadium's storied grass with a sheet of ice?

2. Would the NHL go for the Pittsburgh Penguins playing outdoor games in consecutive years? Think of the backlash from fans of other teams, such as Minnesota or Detroit, possibly accusing the NHL of being biased towards everything Crosby.

3. Being in a stadium that large (107,000+, which is more than 30,000 seats larger than Ralph Wilson Stadium), would that present problems for fans attending that happen to be sitting at the highest levels of seating? How visible would the puck be at that point?

4. Would the Penn State brass be willing to relinquish the title of having the second-largest football-ONLY stadium in the world?

With that being said, I'm still hoping this does happen, because just the idea of it has me incredibly excited. I will be there... no questions asked.

Oh, and just imagine the PSU faithful in the crowd shaking the place up if "Kernkraft 400" by Zombie Nation blares through the speakers!

That would be awesome, especially if it sold out. But I see a couple problems:

1. I used to live in State College. The winters there are unpredictabe and can be very mild some years, I dont know if they could schedule a game and really be 100% confident that it would be cold enough for the ice, unless they could bring in 'portable' ice making equipment for this. Is this possible?

2. You would end up with a large (107,000+) number of both Flyers AND Penguins fans in the same stadium. If the game ended up 'heated' like the last Flyers-Pens game on Dec. 12, they would need a huge security force to break up all the altercations between spectators. I dont think PSU or the City of State College has a large enough security force to deal with that.

• Erica

Here's a link to the article, Bill: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...

This would be pretty exciting. Although, between these rumors about another outdoors game and the rumor of the Pens playing a game somewhere in Europe next season, I have to ask: what's next? Haha.

• cme

Fugutastic, people go to football games in the winter.

Oh, my god, let's hope not. These outdoor games will start to lose its uniqueness (is that a word...?) if they have one every year. And with the same team (Penguins) in consecutive years too.

TFoley, the article they are discussing involves next season's game, not this season's.

• RF

That would be sweet. They will probably go for it too it will draw a lot of people and make a lot of money.

"Fugu- Actually the Penn State Ice Rink is about a quarter mile away, I like cold weather, I am 21, and you are a *********** douchebag" wow! did you learn those big words by yourself? wow!!!