Fiddler on the roof play.. audition help please?

Okay so I am auditioning for fiddler on the roof (im a girl), and they gave us the scene with hodel & perchik, and i need to act out hodel, while someone else plays perchick and tvye.

this is the scene i have to memorize, so any tips with acting it out and memorizing it, etc..

HODEL

That was a very interesting lesson, Perchik.

PERCHIK

Thank you.

HODEL

But I don't think the Rabbi would agree with your strange ideas.

PERCHIK

Certainly! Any new idea would be strange to you. Remember, the Lord said: Let there be light.

HODEL

Yes. But he was not talking to you personally ... Good day.

PERCHIK

You have spirit. Even a little intelligence perhaps.

HODEL

Thank you.

PERCHIK

And you are very brave. Do you know that in the city boys and girls can hold hands together, they even dance together - new dances - like this.

#15 Perchik & Hodel Dance (Orchestra)

(HE seizes her and starts dancing, humming)

I learned it in Kiev. Do you like it?

HODEL

(Startled)

It's very nice.

PERCHIK

(Stops dancing)

There. We've just changed an old custom.

HODEL

(Bewildered)

Yes. Well, you're welcome - I mean, thank you - I mean, good day.

PERCHIK

Good day.

SCENE TEN

(Exterior of TEVYE'S house. HODEL ENTERS, petulantly, followed by PERCHIK, who is carrying a suitcase)

PERCHIK

Please don't be upset, Hodel.

HODEL

Why should I be upset? If you must leave, you must.

PERCHIK

They expect me in Kiev tomorrow morning.

HODEL

So you told me. Then goodbye.

PERCHIK

Hodel, your father, the others here, think what happened at Tzeitel's wedding was a little cloudburst and it's over and everything will now be peaceful again. It won't. You understand?

HODEL

Yes, I - I suppose I do. Goodbye, Perchik.

PERCHIK

Before I go,

(Hesitates, then summons up courage)

there is a certain question I wish to discuss with you. A political question.

HODEL

Yes?

PERCHIK

The question of marriage.

HODEL

This is a political question?

PERCHIK

Yes. And I personally am in favor of it.

HODEL

Are you asking me to marry you?

PERCHIK

In a theoretical sense, yes, I am.

HODEL

I was hoping you were.

PERCHIK

And we can consider ourselves engaged, even though I am going away?

(SHE nods)

I will send for you as soon as I can. It will be a hard life, Hodel.

HODEL

But it will be less hard if we live it together.

TEVYE

(ENTERING)

Good evening.

PERCHIK

Good evening, Reb Tevye, I have some bad news. I must leave this place.

TEVYE

I'm sorry, Perchik. We will all miss you.

PERCHIK

But you can also congratulate me.

TEVYE

Congratulations. What for?

PERCHIK

We're engaged.

TEVYE

Engaged?

HODEL

Yes, Papa, we're engaged.

(Takes PERCHIK'S HAND)

TEVYE

(Pleasantly, separating them)

No, you're not. I know, you like him, and he likes you. But you're going away, and you're staying here, so have a nice trip Perchik.

HODEL

Please, Papa, you don't understand.

TEVYE

I understand. I gave my permission to Motel and Tzeitel, so you feel that you also have a right. But my answer is still no.

HODEL

Papa, you don't...

TEVYE

We'll find someone else for you, here in Anatevka.

PERCHIK

Reb Tevye, we are not asking for your permission.

TEVYE

You're not asking for my permission?

HODEL

But we would like your blessing, Papa.

Also, I dont know who is playing Perchik, and im nervous about the dancing scene. What should I expect with that?

Favorite Answer

A great way to memorize those lines is have a parent or good friend act it out with you. Make a copy of the script to give to your parent / friend / whoever, and read it off with feeling.

After you read it about ten times, you should have it pretty well in your head. Just keep practicing and remembering.

Memories! I played Hodel about 10 years ago, and remember it fondly. She's headstrong and smart!

I can understand your concern that you don't know who'll be reading Perchik, but I think you should focus on what YOU can do to prepare. When I learned lines, there was never anyone interested or available to help, so I used to record everyone else's lines onto a cassette, leaving gaps for my own lines (while I read them in my head). Then you can just keep playing the tape - you'll know when there's silence you need to say something, and after several listens you'll know the whole scene really well, and you'll just be saying what makes sense as a response, rather than just a random collection of lines you've learned.

I wouldn't worry about the dance. Hodel is supposed to be completely surprised by it, and not know what to do, so if the dance is included in the audition, you'll naturally have the right expression on your face!! You might even find the dance is skipped over.

Hope your audition rocks, and you get the chance to play this great role!

You might think how the character Hodel feels and reacts to the situation. She is a girl torn between the traditions of her family and village and her love for a man who is essentially a revolutionary who will go to the city and wants to change everything. Also in a world of arranged marriages she will marry for love. Listen to the song 'Far From the Home I Love ' from the cast album, it pretty much tels you what you need to know and feel, it one one of the best songs in the musical. Once you understand the character memorization will be easier.

Hodel is a great part, Julia Migenes who created the role had a long career in both opera and theater.

• Erika

i like THIS show! My older sister became into bielke. Any who, all directors and musical directors desire somebody to step in and blow them away. i'd sing "faraway from the abode i like", even regardless of the undeniable fact that 20 different ladies will sing that music. DONT replace YOUR music regardless of the undeniable fact that! do purely a extra helpful pastime than all people else. Act for the period of the audition, pass a sprint, sense the characters. All of Tevye's daughters desire freedom, which Hodel talks approximately in "abode i like" so for the period of the audition, pretend you're Hodel or Chava speaking to Tevye why you're leaving Anatevka.