Do I have to restamp my visa if I changed my employer in the US on H1B visa?

I'm currently on an H1B visa. I changed my employer in the US while on H1B. Do I have to restamp my visa if I go out of the country and return?

• Fred S
    Favorite Answer

No you do not need a new H-1B visa if the one you have is not expired.

At one time, it was thought that changing H-1B employers meant that a new visa stamp would be needed the next time someone leaves and reenters after a change of status in the US.

USCIS and the State Department now make it clear that as long as the visa remains unexpired the applicant remains in H-1B classification.

Note that someone who changed from another visa to H-1B status in the US (such as from F-1 to H-1B) and never has had a visa stamp will still need to get an H-1B visa at a consulate.

After changing H-1B employers in accordance with DHS procedures for making such a change, an H-1B visa holder may continue to use his or her original H-1B visa for entry into the United States. Upon applying for entry, the visa holder must present the new Form I-797, Notice of Action,

evidencing the approval of the change of employer in addition to the visa.

Source(s): http://www.visalaw.com/04dec3/2dec304.html 9 FAM 41.53 N9.2-3 Validity of H-1B When There is a Change of Employer (CT:VISA-842; 10-10-2006) (Effective Date: 10-04-2006)

Yes. Employer sponsored H1B visa's must reflect the sponsoring employer.

• buckey

yes, you need new h1b stamp every time you change employer when you re-enter to US.