What kind of lens would be good for my dsc-w50 camera?

It's a sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet... are some good examples if you want them) and I have a 30mm lens adapter . I am looking for a lens that will help when I have really really poor lighting (a black curtain background in a dim room with caucasions, a dark outdoor scene with snow, a foggy day) and will help me zoom in on things better and provide clearer, wider shots.

Favorite Answer

The way the lens adapter works, you can only modify the existing lens, not swap it out.

As a result, you cannot improve the ability to shoot in really poor lighting.

You can add auxiliary lenses to increase your zoom power or make the shots wider, but with greater and greater optical compromises. So, with the wider lenses, you'll see more distortion of horizontal lines, and potentially vignetting (darkening of corners). With the telephoto, you may also get some distortion or chromatic aberration.

So, while you cannot improve the ability in dim light, you can get more telephoto or more wideness, but with the understanding that you will lose some quality.

Only an interchangeable lens SLR will do what you're asking without the compromises.

As far as low lighting is concerned, you are limited to your Sony's built-in lens. There is nothing you can attach that will improve its light-gathering capability.