my blood pressure is 178 over 96. what can i do to lower my blood pressure and do i need to see a doctor?

10 Answers

  • rkeech
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    This is not pre-hypertension -- this is very real hypertension, and it is a serious condition that very much increases your risk of heart disease, congestive heart failure, kidney disease and stroke. It is vitally important that you see a physician and keep going back as often as necessary until you and your physician get your blood pressure under control.

    It is often necessary to use more than one medication to control hypertension. Some hypertensive individuals require three or four medications, or even more.

    It was formerly considered that control of hypertension meant a systolic pressure no more than 140 and a diastolic pressure no more than 90. Those numbers have been revised downward, as it was recognized that persons with blood pressure at those levels continued to develop end-organ damage characteristic of hypertension. Current criteria for control is a systolic blood pressure not more than 130 and diastolic blood pressure not more than 80.

    If you're diabetic, it may be desirable for your blood pressure to be even lower. It's not part of the answer to your question, but it may be relevant that people with hypertension are twice as likely to be diabetic or to become diabetic, and diabetics are twice as likely to have or develop hypertension.

    Source(s): I'm a physician.
  • 5 years ago

    3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

  • 1 decade ago

    I agree with answer above, reducing salt intake and exercising are important. But I would see a doctor just in case sounds like prehypertensive. Any other illnesses or stress that may have caused that reading? Or history of such problems in your family? Blood pressure meds might also be ordered by go see a doc and don't just rely on internet advice. good luck.

  • ted j
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Cholesterol comes from animal fat like meat, cheese, butter, cream & eggs. Too much cholesterol causes high blood pressure. Eat more vegetables instead. Losing weight lowers blood pressure.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Retake the BP in 1 hr. Just relax. If it is still high, go straight to your doctor or ER.

    This isn't pre-hypertension, it is hypertension. And if this is what your BP has been running at, it is high enough to cause kidney damage, stroke, or a heart attack at any time. You need medication; diet won't do enough.

  • 1 decade ago

    reduce salt intake, eat healthily and exercise.

    Is this a one off reading and if so it may be misleading. If your BP is always around this level even with lifestyle changes you may still need medication to get it lower.

    In short you need to see you Dr.

  • 1 decade ago

    blood pressure is different for each person, however this is a high reading for the average person...see a doctor

  • 1 decade ago

    you need to reduce your salt intake and take it easy.. but if it stays this high for a while or been going on way to long you need to see a doctor because it can affect your heart

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    ok here is the thing....did you get upset before you ckecked your bp? if you did that could be the reason why it is high. if that is so then try to reduce the stress in your life....ha ha ha i know its hard...same here. now if its not the reason....then yes you need to watch what you eat but you do need to go to the doctor now. they can watch you and put you on meds now and maybe be able to control it before it does get worse.

  • 1 decade ago

    You must take NOURISH NONI. Which is a fruit juece. Which contain 180+ isolated nutraseticals.It also benifits in artharities,austhama,diabities. etc.

    Source(s): from health and nutritional consulltent.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.