Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

what is the current if a 1.2v battery light up a bulb which is rated 2.4V 500mA?

what is the current if a 1.2v battery light up a bulb which is rated 2.4V 500mA? is it 250mA? and what is the current is a 2.4v battery light up a bulb which is rated 1.2V 250mA? is it 500mA?

• Gary H
    Favorite Answer

It will usually be a bit higher than half the current with half the voltage for incandescent bulbs because the resistance of the filament is much higher at operating temperature, about 5 times higher than at room temp if I remember right. So the current in the first case might be 250-350mA.

In the second case, at least 50% more to almost double the current of the rating of the bulb will flow, quickly burning out the bulb.

• John F

Light bulb filaments are nonlinear resistors, so simply halving the voltage does not necessarily halve the current. I have no idea what the answer is but I think Gary's on the right track.

Source(s): EE, 29 years experience