what do you think martin luther means by "the women on the other hand is a nail drivin into the wall"?

"the rules remains with the husband,and the wife is compelled to obey him by god' command.he rules the home and the state ,wages war,defends his possessions,tills the soil,builds,plants,ect.the women on the other hand is a nail driven into the wall...so the wife should stay at home and look after the affairs of the household,as one who has been deprived af the ability of administering those affairs that are outside and that concern the state.she does not go beyond her most personal duties"

Update:

"the rules remains with the husband,and the wife is compelled to obey him by god' command.he rules the home and the state ,wages war,defends his possessions,tills the soil,builds,plants,ect.the women on the other hand is a nail driven into the wall...so the wife should stay at home and look after the affairs of the household,as one who has been deprived af the ability of administering those affairs that are outside and that concern the state.she does not go beyond her most personal duties"

my source is school.world history book.so these details are all i have.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He just meant that women were the ones who had the children. In those days they could not imagine a husband who fed, bathed, changed diapers and cared for kids the way that a lot of Guys do these days.

love and blessings Don

• 5 years ago

Martin Luther was a womenizer. I wouldn't doubt if this quote is referencing a women's place. I'm looking up more about this quote. He probably wanted his wife to stay home so she couldn't catch him cheating. "This punishment, too, springs from original sin; and the woman bears it just as unwillingly as she bears those pains and inconveniences that have been placed upon her flesh. The rule remains with the husband, and the wife is compelled to obey him by God’s command. He rules the home and the state, wages wars, defends his possessions, tills, the soil, builds, plants, etc. The woman, on the other hand, is like a nail driven into the wall. She sits at home . . . Just as the snail carries its household with it, so the wife should stay at home and look after the affairs of the household, as one who has been deprived of the ability of administering those affairs that are outside and concern the state. She does not go beyond her most personal duties…. "Women are generally disinclined to put up with this burden, and they naturally seek to gain what they have lost through sin. If they are unable to do more, they at least indicate their impatience through grumbling. However, they cannot perform the functions of men: teach, rule, etc. In procreation and in feeding and in nourishing their offspring they are masters. In this way Eve is punished; but, as I said at the beginning, it is a gladsome punishment if you consider the hope of eternal life and the honor of motherhood which have been left to her.” Martin Luther. “Lectures on Genesis,”

• 1 decade ago

It is a difficult section of the Bible, those passages that seem to denigrate women and place them into a category of baby makers and cooks. Paul's verse about women and their role is hard to accept, however remember that everything that is written must be interpreted in the light of love, Christ's love, God's love for his children. Especially remember that the historical time these verses were written in, hard times for those living in slavery, both men and women were owned by others in a position of power.

• Pascha
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Martin Luther was a man of his time and culture. And he was not the first or the last to use religion to justify power over women. Fortunately, not all religious people are of that mind-set.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

that she should remain attached to her chores at home. Luther said a lot of wrong things. Look at his views on Jews. The Bible does say that the woman should be under her husbands authority, so I cant deny his view on this entirely. But, just because woman are under their husbands authority doesn't mean that men should abuse their authority over their wives.

• 1 decade ago

Just forget all that and read the book of Proverbs, you can see there what a good woman is supposed to be.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

how many other people would have said that back then. including some whites. and what exactly is your source?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Can you give the reference please? I would like to see the context before I commented

• 1 decade ago

i think luther was writing as he was raised.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.