Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do you know any Christians that show their faith by their works and only evangalize when questioned about it?

Would the world be a much better place if they all behaved this way?

Favorite Answer

That is the best way to evangelize; by doing not talking.

People are judged more by what they do and not what they say. If you claim one thing and live differently, what good are your words.

"At all times preach the Gospel, when necessary, use words." Francis of Assisi.

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." (James 2:14-17)

Source(s): The NIV Study Bible Evangelism is my area of expertise

Yes I do. Most of my Christian friends are like this. I only know they are Christians because the topic of religion is a subject I like to talk about with my friends. I encourage them to talk about their beliefs....even if I disagree with them. Most of my Christians friends are much more focused on "doing" rather than "talking", but always appreciate the chance to share their beliefs with someone who actually wants to hear them (even if it is just so I can better understand my friends and where they're coming from). I have a very religiously diverse group of friends (and grew up in a religiously diverse family), and I've often learned that just because someone wears the label doesn't mean they all believe exactly the same thing. There are nuances.

Do I think the world would be a much better place if they all behaved this way? Yes I do. But not just Christians, but everyone of every faith. That they would desire to show their faith and be an example of their faith to others through their works....that everyone would prefer to "do" rather than to "talk". Anyone can "talk", it takes a lot more to "do" and I have greater admiration for people of any religion (or lack thereof) that "do" and only "talk" when people inquire and ask them to "talk".

• Yes I know of many. But we are all called to different paths. Would the world be a better place? I cannot say. I do feel that more should do more but I would have none hide their faith. Now pushing it down other peoples throats is another story

A devout Christan at work (love her) said that she bought $50 worth of blankets (the ones for $3.99 each at Walgreen's) and is going to pass them out to the homeless under the bridge. Another person, a christian, heard of this and decided to go with her and chipped in $50s as well.

She also said that a member of her church, makes a pot of soup and offers soup to the needy. I was thinking about doing something to, but I have to wait until Payday.

there are more Christians like that than you might realize. quite a few do things for others without drawing attention to themselves or wishing any acknowledgment for what they do, like sunday school classes and individuals who do such things as 'adopt' a family for Christmas, providing food, clothing, presents, etc...and doing it completely anonymously. of course, i've noticed that whenever a Christian does get noticed for doing something good, the inevitable reaction seems to be 'they're not like most Christians'...

as far as 'evangelizing' goes, that would depend on how you define 'evangelizing'-if you mean running up to people, yelling 'repent or you're going to BURN in HELL, you heathen', then count me out! but Christ did say to 'spread the gospel to all creation'...He didn't say 'only if you're asked about it', or 'if you feel like it'...obviously, the most effective way to teach people about Christ is to live in such a way that He is reflected in your behavior! i just wonder how many times someone meets a Christian who acts in such a way, but those who encounter him/her just assume "that's a really nice person" and never learn WHY they act that way-just a thought...personally, i have no qualms about telling people that i am a Christian, and sharing what Christ did and said- but it's not for me to push others to believe-some plant the seed, others water and nurture it, but only Christ can 'bring home the harvest'

Yes, I know some.

You assume that someone here knows the answer to your hypothetical question. Nobody does.

I could ask the question "If the Atheists stopped visiting R&S, would religious people be able to worship more freely?"

Oh my God!!! It's about time someone asked this.

I agree wholeheartedly.

There should be a new commandment for all religions that prohibited talking about their religion at all unless another person asks what motivated their good works.

I think i remember reading something in the Bible about breast-beating jerks standin on corners having already gotten their reward. Maybe there is some hope that heaven will be a pleasant place to hang. I doubt it.

I agree with St. Francis of Assisi's idea of evangelizing :

"Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."

Faith and works are very important however, so is telling people about God's love for them. How else will they know who sent them to do the work in His name?

absolutely great question. i think if you run around yelling IM A CHRISTIAN IM A CHRISTIAN BE LIKE ME OR DIE. your not really making people want to be like you i think you should say anything unless asked you should be humble and not a show off.