Epicurus asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 decade ago

Poetic devices in "The World Is Too Much with Us?"?

What are some of the poetic devices in "The World Is Too Much with Us?"

I have metaphor and imagery, but I want to know if there are more.

And I think diction is one? But I need examples, because I have no idea how to back that one up.

The world is too much with us; late and soon,

Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;

Little we see in Nature that is ours;

We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,

The winds that will be howling at all hours,

And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,

For this, for everything, we are out of tune;

It moves us not.—Great God! I’d rather be

A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;

So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,

Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;

Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;

Or hear old Triton blow his wreathéd horn.

Thanks (:

Favorite Answer

Lately we've been getting a lot of questions about "diction". Let me set this straight. Diction is NOT a poetic device. Diction is just a fancy word for "word choice", why does the poet use certain words, what does it suggest? You can talk about diction here in terms of why he uses, for example, Greek gods: Proteus and so on.

You still need to talk about meter, rhythm, etc.

More importantly this is an important poem in terms of Wordsworth's philosophy of nature, and the Romantic despairing of Enlightenment Science and Reason.

__________________

*Since Jahaan has taken it upon herself to so horribly misread this poem, I've got to correct her mistakes. This is NOT a satire.

"line 1-antitheses...opposites.late and soon"

Wrong. "Late" means "lately" here. He uses "late" to keep the meter.

"line2 same" Wrong again. In the opening lines, Wordsworth is despairing that the natural wonders all around us are seldom appreciated on any level. That the whole of modern society is antithetical to living the good life as he sees it. That we aren't in touch with nature.

"sordid boon in line4 -paradox" VERY WRONG. The "sordid boon" he's talking about is that we have "given our hearts away." That is, that we have advanced in reason, science, technology, etc. all the things Wordsworth would have seen developing around him, but that that "boon" has been "sordid" -- leaving us "out of tune" (8) with "This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon, / The winds that will be howling at all hours" and so on. "It moves us not" as he says.

"line 5 transfered epithet" it's not a transferred epithet, just poetic imagery. Are you suggesting the narrator is infact "bar[ing] her bosom"?

By bringing up Proteus, Pagans, etc. Wordsworth is saying, he'd rather be a "Pagan suckled in a creed outworn" so that at least he'd be of an age which had not abandoned the Truth and beauty of nature (the Greeks made their nature all about sea Gods, thunder Gods, and so on): "So might I, standing on this pleasant lea, / Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn."

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

The world is too much with us; late and...

Source(s): poetic devices quot world quot: https://shortly.im/qbSCu

I THINK THIS IS YOUR HOME WORK..BUT THIS IS MY PLEASURE DEAR.its a satire by Wordsworth.though he was a romantic poet in this satire he is criticising the world since it doesnt let man be with himself and with nature.

line 1-antitheses...opposites.late and soon

line2 same

sordid boon in line4 -paradox

line 5 transfered epithet

5th last line-inversion

there are many elegorical and greek references

u bettere be aware of some literary ideas and concepts.GOODLUCK