Insurance with car or person in Georgia?

My wife has been allowing her father to use her car to work as a pizza delivery man while his car is getting fixed. We don't have her car listed as a business vehicle, but he says that if he wrecks it his insurance will cover it. I'm not sure if he is correct or not, but I don't know the law in Georgia. I'm afraid he'll get in a wreck and we'll get sued or have our insurance policy canceled. Is he correct? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Insurance follows the car... NOT the vehicle.

Her insurance would DEFINATELY deny this claim due to him delivering pizza during the ax. That is one of the first qudstions i ask people when i do a statement with them "were you on the job at the time of the loss- delivering items etc"

If her policy denied him.. his policy MIGHT pick up and cover it.. but.. there is no definate. All policies are different. My company has some really cheap policies that never cover replacement cars... big companies with more expesnives policies MAY cover it.

But is risking thousands (and possibly tens of thousands) of dollars worth it? Why dont you call his company and get a definite answer? Do tehy even know how delivers pizzas in his car?

There is no guarantee they have Georgia insurance. They may have California insurance. You don't know just because they are driving in Georgia. Some places allow 4 months (3 months as non-resident and 30 days as resident) to switch over. I moved to NY at the end of June, but didn't have to change my plates until October because I may have had to move again within my first 90 days if I couldn't find a job here.

Compare free quotes from dif companies at QUOTESTOINSURE.INFO-

RE Insurance with car or person in Georgia?

I live in North Atlanta. Years ago my now ex-mother-in-law borrowed my Camry while we were in Europe. In Alpharetta two deers ran out, she hit one, the other bounced off the back of the car causing quite a bit of damage.

I told my Statefarm agent exactly what occurred and who was driving and the car was covered although she was not named on the policy as a driver.

If your dad wrecks it is your insurance on the vehicle that covers it. Depending on the insurance company, and should a wreck occur he may not want to tell police what he was using the vehicle for. The police will put exactly in their report what they are told and the insurance provider can deny a claim per the policy. Insure all drivers of your vehicle know the location of the policy in your vehicle.

Be smart with this and have a talk with your dad on what to say if in an accident. Also, inform him the insurance on your auto you pay for covers same only, not his insurance.

Source(s): Driver in Georgia for 28 years.

Get insurance quotes

At COVERAGEFINDER.NET you can get and compare quotes in just a few minutes.