Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Revelation? Early date written vs Late date written? 60'sAD vs 90'sAD? What are your thoughts, proofs?

I have to go with the early date, as there is evidence Paul wrote it, and evidence Peter read it; And both died around 67.

Favorite Answer

John wrote the book of Revelation while in exile on the Isle of Patmos. It is generally accepted that he was exiled around AD 85-90.

Most scholars date the book to be written around AD 95, though some suggest it was written during the reign of Vespasian: AD 69-79.

It was already accepted by the ones who closely followed after John in the Christian time line. Polycarp, Clement and Justin Martyr all referenced the book of Revelation. All three meeting death prior to AD 150.

Edit - Evidence that Paul wrote the book of Revelation? John was the one who wrote the book of Revelation, 1:1 "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known to his servant John."

v. 9 "I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the testimony of Jesus." Please help me understand where you were taught that Paul wrote the book of Revelation, or did I misunderstand your statement.

Source(s): The NIV Study Bible http://www.truefoundations.com/ William Foxwell Albright John A T Robinson - "Redating the New Testament"

There are no proofs - there is even a group on YA who will tell you it is written in the fourth century as a direct commandment from Emperor Constantine!

The form of the writing is very similar to the Jewish apocalyptic. In this the history of the world is divided into two epochs. The first is terrible, and beyond redemption. The second is wonderful. The transmission from one to the other is traumatic with all kinds of natural and human mind disasters.

There was significant persecution of Christians under Emperor Domitian (81-96) and I would provisionally date it to this period.

It was almost certainly known to Papias (c60 -130)