Is religion supposed to bring us together or separate us?

seems like muslims, jews and christians would rather fight amongst each other.

Favorite Answer

Organized religion has long been used to control the masses through fear.If we believe we must organize and mobilize to confront an enemy of our faith and beliefs we will as we are today.It was no different in the crusades,the Spanish inquisition, to name a few. Jesus, Buddha,Krishna, and many other wise human beings tried to share one simple message, and it's Love. Love yourself,Love your neighbor,Love your family,friends, and Love your enemy, for they do not understand the truth, that we are all one in the same. Jesus told us we can experience heaven on earth through Love, and acts of kindness, and compassion, Shakyamuni Buddha told us of the same truths,Nirvana found here and now,living in the moment.Many other great wise people have tried to communicate this as well. But we choose, through organized religions, and governing bodies, to believe in the fear - based doomsday prophecies, as well as the disinformation which allows us to be polarized against one another. Live in Fear, or live in Love. The temple is yours, you were born with it,when you die, you will continue on with it.It has always been, and shall be forever more.It is what we are all made of, pure,positive energy, it is the definition of God, it is Love.

That is totally unfounded. We do not voluntarily fight each other - each believes that his own religion is the truth.

But you know what, some people think that their religion is so important that they must recruit and force as many people to believe in it as possible.

Christians have missionaries to convert people. The Muslims have Jihad. The Jews, on the other hand, discourage conversion. They try to convince others not to convert, because they only want the true believers.

Hmm, I'm a muslim. I would say that war is a human concept, not a religious one. People fought a lot even before these major religions. In the Qur'an (Islamic doctrine), it is stated that people regardless of race/gender/ethnicity are equal, and that we are united not by our nationality, or ethnicity, but our moral beliefs. I don't know if I can speak for all religions, but I would say most religions aim to transcend normal barriers of human society and connect people by the thing that really matters- your heart.

The basic and pure message of all major religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) is to reveal God to humanity, to reveal the purpose of humankind in this planet, to bring civility and ethics to humankind. No religion explicitly advocates intolerance, hate, persecussions, wars. It is our human distorted interpretation which contaminate, corrupt and dishonor that faint glimmer of revelation that we call religions.

religion brings 'groups' of people together, they congregate, but on a much larger scale, religion segregates as if you are not part of one religion, in some cases, still today, you can be killed.

even worse, young girl in Iraq was stoned to death , in an open quarter (street) by her family and neighbor's for interacting with a man of a different faith. that was this year.she was 18 years old

acts like this, to me, are not about uniting, they are quite the opposite.

Our creator's universal gifts of life that was lost with time.

Luke 19.9-10

Were suppose to create a United Kingdom in own backyards.

Decode this lyrics " United we stand, Divided we fall"

Somehow with time .

With blunders and slip-ups with human errors with all the cheap-skate ghostly stories on the glory of idol worshiping the dead Mummy of failures and horrors of the past from the graveyards of different ghostly ancestor's culture and custom

created the loss of peace on earth goodwill to men without being aware of the mess on what went wrong out there.

Luke 9.55-56

Getting kick on the butts as casualty of the dead Mummy in not worshiping God in climbing up the coconut trees and still look green with lost sense of direction and purpose of life.

Luke 6.39-40,41-45,46-49

What do you think?

Source(s): decoded from the missing x-files.

Religions seperate and divide people. All people really need to do is connect with God. That simple, yet that difficult. To do this we must throw out thought forms and labels about what God should be. Which is what religion is all about.

I think that it was meant to bring us together, Jesus did preach to "love thy neighbour" and all, but I think a lot of people have put their own meaning into religion and decided to use it as a means to start wars and fights and such.

Most people believe what they are brought up believing.

It seems that religion should bring everyone together. Some religions think that other religions are wrong, evil, etc...because they don't agree with their beliefs.

You would think it would bring us together, but unfortunately, ignorance, judgments and differences in cultures drive us apart.

I think it is inevitable that religion divides more than it brings people together.

Matt. 10:

34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth.

I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to turn `a man against his father, a daughter

against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -

36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

37 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me

is not worthy of me;

anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me

is not worthy of me;

38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me

is not worthy of me.

Despite the admonition to "love thy enemy...", the tenets of the different faiths often are irreconcilable....