What's up with this?

I'm a friendly person at work. I'm married. I started conversation with a young female worker and she says, "Don't flirt with me. You can flirt with all the other skanks here, but I'm not one of them." I was like whoa, just trying to be nice. Then she says, "Then don't look at me the way you do." And she walks away. She's married as well.

Favorite Answer

Damn... Stay away from that one...

Are you lying to us, or to yourself? I seriously doubt you said "Nice weather today isn't it?" Or, "It's good that things seem to be getting better in Iraq." and had your co-worker misinterpret that as flirting. Now, she might be a psycho moron, but I believe you WERE flirting. Did you just happen to mention something about how she looked good? Or, perhaps have you been flirting- no, i mean being friendly, with other women you work with? Generally, when a woman thinks you're flirting, it's because you're flirting. And quit looking at her the way you do. EDIT EDIT I may owe you an apology. If so, I'm sorry. But, it depends on IF you speak to the young attractive women in your workplace differently than you speak to the women that look like your grandmother. And if you speak to the Grannys as often as the young ladies.

I think she might have just had a bad attitude that day. You probably show interest to anyone when they speak to you. That is a good thing. She just took it wrong. The best thing to do (in my opinion) is avoid her. She will get over it eventually. In the days to come, I don't see a problem with saying "Good morning" when you pass her or just "Hi". That shows you ARE a nice guy.

Good luck and have a great day.

Wow - I'd continue to keep it totally professional and avoid her as much as possible. It sounds like she could be one to accuse you of something you didn't do and marr your career, or at least try. Your situation sounds similar to a guy I work with. He ended up sending her a reply to an email she had sent to him, indicating it's professional and nothing else and it was embarassing him. It seemed to stop...

If it continues with you, file a harassment complaint against her - you don't deserve to be treated that way - no one does.

maybe, she is having a rough time with her marriage, or there is something going on in her life that you are unaware of. she may have had problems with fellow workers in an old workplace.

if i was you i would just give her space, and wait for her to talk to you. i wouldn't take it personally, just take into consideration of her feelings and private space.

hope everything works out in the end and you both begin to talk to each other polietly

Ouch, be careful, she sounds like the type of woman that would wear provocative clothes and than slam a sexual harassment suit against people looking at her or commenting on her attire.

She thinks she's hot! Her ego is not her amigo-don't even talk to her unless its about work-she will have you meeting with HR before you know it!

Attitude....avoid her...she is a man hater, too.