Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Should the flat-earth story get equal time in the science classroom as the round-earth version?

After all, the earth being spherical is just a theory. Oh, astronauts and so on bring back photographs, and sometimes "evidence" is produced, but I for one have never seen it for myself.

(For the hard of thinking: this is irony.)

Favorite Answer

Don't forget Intelligent Falling as alternative to gravity, and I am working on an electric fairy hypothesis as an alternative to electromagnetism. I demand equal time too, because I have faith it is true.

• Renata

Yes, if the teacher explains how and , more importantly, why the "flat earth myth" was created.

Perhaps they could explain why European kings in the Middle Ages held an orb in their hand as a symbol of God's sovereignty

over the earth. Why not a flat plate?

They could also explain why people get their philosophical view of the issue from comic books rather than from medieval scholars like Bede, Roger Bacon, and Thomas Aquinas who wrote of a round or spherical earth.

Source(s): "Inventing the Flat Earth" Jeffrey Burton Russell

The more the merrier I say. If people are pushing for intelligent design, then more crackpot theories should be entertained as well. The flat earthers have their own theories, reasons and proofs that the earth is flat so if we allow ID into the science classrooms then we should be allowing the flat earth theory in it as well.

Then once we're drowning in everything from intelligent falling to aether to the effects of pixies on garden flowers it'll be time to get back to basics and show people that simply because you believe in it, doesn't mean it's true.

LOL! The science classroom deals in science, not pseudo-science!

Realistically, the best creationists should ever be able to hope for is the Mythology/Folklore class.

Source(s): A thinking person.

No. The science classroom deals in facts.

hard of thinking, LOL!

Acid Zebra: Your electric fairy hypothesis holds no water in light of the theory of elephanticity. See below, and be sure to scroll down to the proof of this theory.

http://elephanticity.250x.com/thetruth.html

We definitely should, and while we have that back in the class room, we should also bring back the geocentric model of the universe and also the witch-hunts.