ok. My computer is constantly getting pop ups ad viruses because I dont have a good virus protection pop up blocker and i cant get on the internet for 5 minute to check mail with out a minimus 5 popups coming in. Is there anything free that will help with the constant flow of popups. PLEASE. My brother is 10 and the pop ups are inappropriate. Thank you.
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
this is the best one around "AVG" it's free and works really well. this will help you.
- ChrisLv 51 decade ago
I 100% agree with the two posters above me!
Firefox with the Noscript and Adblockplus addons = safest web browser available. I promise I have not had a single popup/ad since using this setup for the last 6 months...
If you still get popups with the above setup, then you have malware installed on your PC, such as adware, spyware, trojans, smitfraud, etc.
You will need to install a good antispyware scanner like SuperAntiSpyware which is completely free and highly effective.
- 1 decade ago
Look Use the FireFox Browser and Download this Add-on,
Winner of the "2006 PC World World Class Award", this tool makes Firefox the safest browser around.
- darthgeekuLv 51 decade ago
Agree with last poster:
1) Change default browser to mozzy firefox
2) Get No Script add on
3) Get Adblock Plus add on
4) Immunize yourself with spyblaster
5) Catch the rest that filter through with spybot search n
destroy + ad-aware
6) Get a software firewall if your computer is not behind a router - i vote for Comodo
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
99% of all internet problems can be attributed to the wrong set of Web browser and Email clients in coordination of the
AV/ Spyware / Firewall software.
Get the following, all are free for a safe surfing experience, with proven track records and do not take up
system resources like Norton or McAffee.
install in SAFE mode with networking ( hit F-8 at boot time ), run them all in SAFE mode
with networking as you'll need it for the updates all the programs below will need.
Turn off RESTORE and the RECYLE BIN temporarily as virii can regenerate / reinfect even if you delete
them with both services on. After all the scanning and cleaning after a 2nd reboot and one last
scan do you turn both of them back on.
AVG (free) http://free.grisoft.com/
WEB BROWSER - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox
EMAIL use thunderbird. It has a good built in spam filter and learns when you teach it. http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird
Once you set it all up create 3 email accounts..
a hotmail or yahoo account for web "verification", this account you will not care if it get spammed
a sub account ( from the master account )to your ISP that you use for logons, this is the one you use for personal
emails only to trusted people and banking, ebay and paypal. Never use the account for anything else than that,
you find spam is low to non existant if you follow this rule, and even if it does become spam laden, then you
can delete the account and create a new sub account and do all the email updates to ebay, paypal, banks and your
finally your master account from your ISP, this one you NEVER use, it's only kept for creating sub accounts since
changing the master account is a real pain.
and if you have a wireless router follow these tips,
1. Use WPA encryption (WPA-PSK) it's less crackable then WEP.
2. Make a passphrase that is upper & lower case and has some numbers thrown in there as well, again harder to crack.
some like mAkE1t5eCurE0rel53 and as long as possible.
3. Use MAC access control so only you or authorized PC's can connect (even if you do have encryption turned on)
4. Turn off DHCP use static addresses.
5. Turn off SSID (and change it) unless your card really needs it (some do)
6. Change username/password of access unit front end
7. Ensure you have the usual firewall enabled on your PC.
8. Paranoia rules, turn WLAN off if your not using it :)
one last tip
control panel---administrator tools--services--messenger
right clik on it
stop the service
then disable it
- 1 decade ago
if you use ie (internet explorer) i dont know about using mozilla.. at tolls tabs, there a pop-up blocker..
you can turn off pop up blocker and pop up blocker setting..
if you dont want any pop up, choose pop up blocker setting. there should be a filter pop up at the very bottom..turn it high..
- crackpacLv 41 decade ago
free security that works from www.download.com
avg anti virus free
spybot search and destroy-spyware scan
sypware blaster-real time spyware protection
- 1 decade ago