Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Writer's stike?

I need info. on the writer's strike. When? Why? How? where? did it start, sources, and websites that can help me.

Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer
  • LORD Z
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The 2007 Writers Guild of America strike is a strike by the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) and the Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW) that started on November 5, 2007.[2] The WGAE and WGAW are two labor unions that represent film, television and radio writers working in the United States.

The strike is against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), a trade organization that represents the interests of American film and television producers. Over 12,000 writers are affected by the strike.[3]

The Writers Guild has indicated their industrial action would be a "marathon". AMPTP negotiator Nick Counter has indicated that negotiations would not resume as long as strike action continues, stating, "We're not going to negotiate with a gun to our heads—that's just stupid."[4]

The current strike has so far lasted 5 weeks. The last such strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks, and cost the American entertainment industry an estimated 500 million dollars.[5]

[edit] Issues in the strike

Every three years, the Writers Guilds negotiate a new basic contract with the AMPTP by which its members are employed. This contract is called the Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA).[6] In the 2007 negotiations over the MBA an impasse was reached, and the WGA membership voted to give its board authorization to call a strike, which it did on Friday, November 2, with the strike beginning the subsequent Monday, November 5, 2007.

Among the many proposals from both sides regarding the new contract, there are several key issues of contention including DVD residuals; union jurisdiction over animation and reality program writers; and, perhaps most importantly, compensation for "new media"-- content written for (and/or distributed through) emerging digital technology such as the Internet.

• 1 decade ago

I woud go to the WGA site for details

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.