Roo asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 1 decade ago

Thoughts on Taglish and why?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Guilty here. My friends and I use Taglish a lot but it's only because we undertand each other better that way...or rather we are so comfortable with it...it's like second nature to us.

I refrain from using Taglish with strangers - it's either straight English or straight Tagalog.

• 1 decade ago

Wikipedia has a good article on Taglish (as well as on Englog): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taglish. As this article describes it, Taglish is a form of code-switching, which is explained more fully in another Wikipedia article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching. As the latter explains, code-switching is common in many countries that are either bilingual or that have sizeable immigrant communities.

I'm an English teacher, but as far as I'm concerned Taglish is all right as long as you're in the Philippines or you're abroad but speaking with other Filipinos. After all, it is more convenient, and you're aware that your listeners can understand you perfectly. That is the point of all language, isn't it? Even English has its own verbal and linguistic shortcuts that non-native speakers find hard to understand.

On the other hand, it is not all right to use Taglish if you're talking to a foreigner or you're giving a talk and there are foreigners in the audience. (And if you happen to be giving a speech in Tagalog during a Linggo ng Wika celebration, make sure that you're talking in the pinaka-dalisay na Tagalog).

But make sure, though, that you're capable of communicating in straight English, and this could take some practice, because you need to avoid using the linguistic shortcuts you've grown accustomed to (and who prefers to use the more difficult route when there's a shortcut?).

The same if also true if you wish to speak in straight Filipino/Tagalog. The writings of some of the Jesuit priests in the Ateneo, for example, show how you can express sophisticated philosophical concepts in Tagalog. As for technical terms--those who can speak languages besides English and Filipino/Tagalog should be aware how much foreign borrowing goes on in these languages. For example, the Japanese word for "computer" is "konpyuta." In other words, everybody does it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sometimes unavoidable because the Tagalog language is not a complete language.

Taglish only becomes wrong when people, usually teenagers, try to sound more foreign even to the extent of trying to sound as if Tagalog was never their first language.

Taglish sounds awkward when a sentence is split half tagalog and english right down the middle (50% Tagalog words and the rest in English).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it's just another creative way originated by true blue pinoys. only in 'pinas.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.