Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does watching mass on TV or the internet fulfill your religious obligation?

If so, can you just have it on in the background, while you are doing some work, or something? Could you get an iPod video, for example, and get Mass out of the way on your daily commute? Would pausing mass be sinful?

Catholic Crusader, surely you could get some take out Eucharists, for use at your convenience?

Favorite Answer

NO IT DOES NOT. The center o0f Catholic worship is the Eucharist, and you cannot receive the Eucharist unless you are there in person. Jesus said "DO this in memory of me", not WATCH this in memory of me

Erm, where did you do your cathecism or did you do it? I'm not a catholic but I thought taking part in the eucharist was the reason for mass. can you do that in the virtual??? What do you mean by pausing mass - as long as you're absent, it's considered sin right? I'm just not sure if it's venial or mortal but you should know. The only time it's not a sin is when you're lost on a deserted island or you're in a place so remote the priests makes it there only once in a long while. Doesn't sound like that for you though....

haha, the takeout eucharist is innovative idea. But I think all the wafers are eaten up each mass so there's none left over for takeouts. Only priests or appointed deacons can give communion I thought - not just any lay person, not even the ordinary catholic.

To think about it... if you don'twant to go, don't and just accept that you're a sinner and live with it since you're already guilty of slothfulness anyhow (one of the 7 deadly sins?) If you still want to be covered, give up the excuses and go to Mass.

If you believe there is a FORMAL OBLIGATION to attend a worship service, then the church you attend would make a judgment of if a TV service would suffices.

I am not Catholic, but have seen "Mass for shut-ins" and have known a Catholic woman who watched mass on TV and her priest came to the house to provide her communion service. In that context, I would think that the C.Church okays it.

BUT, I think that you have to actually sit there and pay attention to get any good from it, whatever way (TV, iPod etc.) you receive it.

There are those who think that churches are only money-grubbers, but anytime you have a physical place with bills to pay-electric for the lights & microphones, gas for the heat, etc.-then the people who go to the place and take advantage of that service should contribute toward the upkeep. It's only fair.

What religious obligation?

God could care less if you go to church.

The people who sponge off of the weekly collections are the only ones who care about this.

If all of you were watching on Ipods they would need to get real jobs and actually work for a living.

Love and blessings Don

mass via mass media is only for the handicapped people.

I'd rather watch football!

You don't go go heaven or hell on a technicality.

No

No...To me its mess, so i don't watch it...

lmao!