Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

where or when???

In the "Fundamentals of English Grammar, Third Edition, by Betty Azar. Longman. 2003" page 405, the following is stated:

A. Where does Jim go to school?

B. I don't know where Jim goes to school.

Isn't the meaning of the question a bit ackward since the "wh" used is "where" and the answer is in the question ie "school"?

shoudn't the Q be re-written as follows:

A. When does Jim go to school?

B. I don't know When Jim goes to school.

Update:

some repliers say the first one is asking about location , but the location is there ie school.

how do we ask about a place mentioned in the question ie school?

Update 2:

some repliers say:

"The question "Where does Jim go to school?" is asking for the name of the institution.

This is the common way to ask for that information.

Where did you go to college?

I went to San Jose State University.

Now, Why don't we say:

which or what college did you go to? instead.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I thought Jim dropped-out.

• glurpy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

"Why don't we say:

which or what college did you go to? instead."

We do. There are lots of ways of saying the same thing. Especially in English. And strictly speaking, "Where does Jim go to school?" works better than "Which school do you go to?" because ending a sentence with a preposition is something to avoid. The 'correct' structure would be, "To which school do you go?" which sounds really awkward since most people don't speak that correctly.

The question was not written incorrectly. People use it in English all the time. Parents ask other parents where their kids go to school, knowing the others' kids don't go to the same school. "School" is not the answer to the question. Just like if you asked, "When does he get up in the morning?",

'in the morning' is not the answer to the question just because it's indicating time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The question "Where does Jim go to school?" is asking for the name of the institution.

This is the common way to ask for that information.

Where did you go to college?

I went to San Jose State University.

The response from your book indicates the answerer does not know the name of Jim's school.

• 1 decade ago

Both the sample and your suggestion are correct; however, the meaning is different.

The first set asks and responds to WHERE = location (Boston, New York)

The second set asks and answers to WHEN = time (mornings, every fall semester....)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Family
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

not in this particular question.... The asker wants to know "where" not "when" which are two different contexts. The question is not awkward at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.