Jumbo sea scallops---- How do I?

The baking element for my stove is broke. Only the broil part works. How do I cook the scallops in a large frying pan on top of the stove. I don't want to bread them, just with butter and lemon juice. I don't want to overcook them. Can you help? Should I broil them or stove top cook them? How long? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Heat your pan with the butter then turn down to about a medium. Make sure the butter does not burn. Add the Scallops into the pan and watch the side of the Scallops. Scallops are pinkish/white. The sides will start to turn a more white color. Midway up the side turn the Scallop over and watch the other side. Scallops should take 2 -3 min on each side and the bottoms should have a light brown color to them. Good luck

• Tara C

They are really easy. I make these often for my father who doesn't like strong flavors.

Make sure the scallops are dry. I like to put them on a kitchen towel for about 10 minutes. Then season them with salt and pepper.

Let your pan heat on medium for about 2 - 3 minutes with a little olive oil. Sear the scallops for about 3 minutes per side. Let them get brown on each side. Then remove the scallops from the pan and add your lemon juice (I would say about 3 fresh lemons) and 3 tbsp. of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk as the butter is melting so the sauce stays together. Add the scallops back to the pan for about 1 minutes and pour over pasta, rice or cous cous. Season with fresh herbs that go with the side. Basil would be nice for pasta, oregano with cous cous or cilantro with rice.

They take only about 5 minutes to cook on the stove top. However, a key step is to be certain that they are completely dry before placing in the sizzling oil or they will not get that nice caramel color.

2 Tbsp. - Olive oil

10 each (about 1 pound) - Jumbo sea scallops (sized at under 10 per pound)

¼ cup - Island Chimichurri Sauce (see recipe below)

2 Tbsp. of each - Red, yellow and green bell pepper, 1/8" dice (confetti)

Fresh scallion-garlic-thyme angel hair pasta (see recipe below)

Fresh ground black pepper and salt as needed

PREPARATION: 1. Prepare the Island Chimichurri Sauce and fresh scallion-garlic-thyme angel hair pasta as described below.

2. Season scallops lightly on both sides with fresh ground black pepper and salt.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes until rich golden brown on each side and moist, yet cooked through in the center. Remove scallops from pan to avoid over cooking while plating.

4. Mound the hot fresh scallion-garlic-thyme angel hair pasta in the center of two warm dinner plates.

5. Place the 2 scallops atop of each portion of pasta and 3 scallops evenly spaced around each mound of pasta. Top each scallop with 2 tsp of Island Chimichurri Sauce and a sprinkling of the three color pepper confetti.

6. We also serve this dish with fresh steamed asparagus and black bean and corn salsa placed between the three scallops that surround the mound of pasta.

Island Chimichurri Sauce INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbsp - Olive oil, extra virgin

1 Tbsp - Lemon juice, fresh squeezed

1 Tbsp - Lime juice, fresh squeezed

½ tsp - Sugar

2 tsp - Garlic, fresh, minced

1 Tbsp - Each: fresh cilantro, parsley and scallions, finely chopped PREPARATION:

Measure and combine all ingredients in a small glass bowl and set aside until serving.

Fresh Scallion-Garlic-Thyme Angel Hair Pasta

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. wt. - Angel hair or cappellini pasta

1 Tbsp. - Salt

3 Tbsp. - Olive oil

1 Tbsp. - Garlic, fresh, minced

4 Tbsp. - Butter, cold cut into ¼" slices

3 Tbsp. - Scallion tops, 1/8" sliced

1 tsp. - Fresh thyme leaves

chopped Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

1. Place 1 gallon of hot water in a large 6 quart pot, add 1 Tbsp of salt and bring to a boil over high heat.

2. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, do not brown. Remove from heat and swirl in the butter until melted then mix in the scallions and thyme.

3. Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water per the instructions on the package. When cooked, drain thoroughly in a colander, then add to the scallion-garlic-thyme butter mixture and toss to coat. Cover to keep hot, then immediately proceed to the searing the scallops and serving steps above.

Pan Seared Jumbo Sea Scallops with Island Chimichurri and Fresh Scallion-Garlic-Thyme Angel Hair Pasta

this kinda explains it

HOW DO I CLEAN THEM?