Download and Upload Speeds?

I'm assuming your download speed is how fast you pull items from the internet, and your upload speed is how fast you can upload things to the internet. With that said, I would like to know which I would need for better gaming. I am assuming again the best would be a service that gave me both High Upload and High Download. Upload for better hosting of games, and Download for better connecting to games. Is this at all right?

I have FiOS, lol

Favorite Answer

but the amount of data that you upload is much smaller than that you download

because at last you upload some variable that the game program uses.

it is my opinion

Download - down into your computer

Upload - from you computer out to cyberspace

Yes, you want both because you computer is sending info and receiving info from the online gaming website. You can purchase different speeds from your speed provider.

The provider will tell you in Mbps (millions bits per second).

Most have a high download speed and a slightly slower upload speed.

Ex.

Dial Up - 56000 bps

DSL 1-3 Mbps

Cable 3-5 Mbps

The speeds depend on your area; providers capabilities; what account you have with them; your computers abilites, etc. If given a choice, go with cable because it is the most stable (not effected by weather). Also, ask your service provider about their holiday prices. Many have a deal right now!

*If you like my answer, please rate it as "Best Answer".

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

no service gives you high download as well as upload.

you can opt for a private T1 line, but that's too expensive

Verizon FIOS has very high speeds for both, but not available in most areas yet.

Take care.

Yep. It's correct. You seem to have a good grasp of bandwidth.