Why is the formula for nitric acid: HNO3?

It was a multiple choice and I looked it up to get the answer; but how could I have known this on a test? crossing the charges seemed to work; is that correct?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are definitely on the right track. Nitric acid, hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid are examples of strong acids that, when in solution, completely dissociates into H^+ ions and the respective counterion. The counterion's charge will give you a clue on the formula:

1) Nitric acid. Sounds like nitrate. The nitrate anion is NO3^-. So, crossing charges, the subscript on the H is 1 and the formula is HNO3.

2) Hydrochloric acid. Sounds like chloride. The chloride anion is Cl^-. It has a charge of -1, and so crossing charges, HCl.

3) Sulfuric acid. Sounds like sulfate. But sulfate is SO4^2-, so crossing charges, that's why the formula is H2SO4.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Formula For Nitric Acid

• 4 years ago

Nitric Acid Formula

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why is the formula for nitric acid: HNO3?

It was a multiple choice and I looked it up to get the answer; but how could I have known this on a test? crossing the charges seemed to work; is that correct?

Source(s): formula nitric acid hno3: https://knowledge.im/?s=formula+nitric+acid+hno3
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. Another thing all acids have hydrogen in them or they form H+ ions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.