meme asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Rottweiler puppy whining?

Alright we just got a new rottweiler puppy. she is a female and 2 months old now. She whines a LOT, especially for a rottweiler (we have 3 of them and ive had them all my life). She also freaks out on the leash sometimes.. if i tug on her or try to make her do something she will throw a fit and roll on her back jump around etc. I honestly havent dealt with any of this before, and if i have then i dont remember it being this bad. Other than that shes really smart and learned to "sit" within a few days which is insane! I just want to stop the whining and the freaking out. She doesnt do it all of the time... but more than she should be doing. Does anyone know why she would be whining? and what i can do to stop it? and the fit throwing when on a leash? should i do the cesar milan approach and let her do it until she loses energy?

Thank you all for your replies. def. helpful!!

Favorite Answer

My dog (a German shepherd/Chow mix) was a lot like that when she was a puppy - it probably just means that she has a very strong personality. My dog was and is extremely intelligent, but has a very strong stubborn and dominant streak, which makes training her difficult. She picks up what I'm trying to teach her immediately, but often doesn't do it purely out of not wanting to at that moment. A lot of firm (but loving) training is in your future with this dog, but she will make a great pet in the long-run if you can match her hard-headedness!

My dog whined a lot at that age too. His whining went down as my other dog started playing with him. I would just make sure that she had everything that she needed (food, water, has already gone to the bathroom, isn't hurt) give him a little TLC, if that doesn't work then ignore her or give her something to occupy herself with, like a nylabone or bully stick.

As far as the leash, I would let her run around the house with the leash on to get used to it. Be firm and let her know that you guys are going for a walk and she is going to behave. My dog is just finally getting better on the leash (he's 11 weeks). He didn't throw a fit (he's too lazy for that, lol) but he would just plop his cute little but down and not move. I just made a bunch of stupid kissy noises and coaxed him with a few treats and now he's fine with it. If your dog just continues to throw a fit then I think completely ignoring her is the best option, once she stops give her a bunch of prainse and a treat, but completely ignore her if she starts to do it again. At her age she's equivilant to a 2 year old. I have a 2 year old and the best thing to do when he is throwing a fit is ignore him (after making sure that all his needs were met obviously). He stops his fit within a few minutes and the same thing works for my dog. We have to do this for our puppy when it comes to puppy nipping, so far so good! Good luck with your puppy!

The issue is that dogs are poor generalizers - it's not that the dog is "sneaky, greedy" etc, but that they have no intrinsic sense of morality or "rightness" and so only think something is "bad" if it has bad consequences. If it has never had bad consequences except with a human in the room, then how on earth are they to know that the rules still apply with the human out of the room? You need to train in such a way that corrections and rewards occur when the dog does not think you are present - i.e. hiding around the corner. Read here https://tr.im/gPKax

I personally owned a Labrador Retriever (read: chow hound) that could be left 6" from a hot dog in a sit-stay for half an hour and not touch it - the word was "mine" and it meant that you don't touch that, even if I am not in the room, even if whatever, you DO NOT touch that. You could leave a plate of food on the floor for hours and not only would she not touch it, she would also keep the other animals (dogs and cats) from touching it.

In all probability, these dogs studied were just not properly trained/proofed before the experiment. With "proofing" to set them up and catch them in the act to give

Hi I have had big dogs all my life until recently.They all whined for a while when they were knew to the house.It sounds like she is missing her siblings.I had been told that putting something that ticks in her bedding would help.But today we no longer have that kind of clocks.It usually settles down after a while,but could last up to a week.Dont start putting her in your bed though, unless you want to continue having her there.It's a bad habit to break.I use to feed my young pups a little warm milk diluted with a little dog food a half hour before going to bed,then take them out to potty.That use to calm them down.But today everyone tells you not to gve your dogs any milk. Hope you find a solution.

She is probably just missing her littermates and the mother. It is a possibility. For the freak out on the leash, she is trying to be dominate, just pinch the back of her neck, were the mother would, look her in the eyes and tell her no. It wont hurt them..just shows dominence

Source(s): Breeder