I have Windows XP..When i try to "re-install" windows, A message "operating system is more current"

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you may be trying to install an older version of windows...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why re-install?? But anyways this means that the version of windows (I'm assuming XP) installed on the computer is later or better version than the one your trying to install over it, hence the error. So windows does not like to replace a newer version.

You can get this error if you allow for xp to do automatic updates so in actual fact the version of xp you might have had originally might have been say build ver 1.12 and now with the updates it has been upgraded to ver 2.14. So it is better version as it has fixes etc.

You'll either have to re-install only the files that are the problem, or wipe out the installed version and then reinstall but this would also mean backing up all data and removal of everything from the hard drive.

One thing many users do is try to reinstall windows to get back to a cleaner running machine or fix a problem, but really it is not always the cure. So if having a problem, diagnose and try to fix and if that fails, then if you have to ... reinstall.

• 1 decade ago

Once upon a time when I was doing Windoze support it was fairly common to do some reinstalling of software, for the noobs that couldn't keep their curiosity under control. Anyway if you are getting a message that the file you are copying is older than the installed version, do you wish to keep it, the standard reply was to keep the newer version. Now, assuming you are updating and not reinstalling, you may be getting a similar message. But you are not providing enough info, and details, what in the world would we want details for?

• 1 decade ago

You need to buy a Mac....Windows and Vista are so 1990's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

format your hard disk

• 1 decade ago

so whats your question ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.