Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Bible Contradictions? Are we not told to COMPARE such things rather than to mix "contrary things"?

Doesn't a mix-tu-are make an oxy-moron with a bad ending?

Can such "contrary things" actually co-exist in peace?

Isn't God the author of peace, and not of confusion?

Isn't one proselyte: twofold, an oxymoronic mix-tu-are?

Why is such called: "more the CHILD of hell" in Mt 23?

Dear Mark1011,

CJ is not JC

BC is not AD

Bwd is not Fwd

Law is not Grace Us

underground is not above

set your affection "above": Col 3, for

getting high on law isn't pls be seated

do israelis & palestinians co-exist in peace in the oxy-moron commonly called middle-east

Favorite Answer

Come on people! there are plenty of contradictions in the bible!

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/...

I guess the answers here just show that people turn the blind eye..

As John Lennon once said:

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain"

The pain John spoke about was not just the warfare between people of different religious beliefs but also the warfare going on inside our brains trying to conform to the impossible demands of an imagined celestial dictator and the absolute need to be free of any religious conclusions at all.

The point is, we don't know, and neither do the priests nor do the books that talk about such things.

• jb125

I put down 3 quotes here:

#1: "Somebody ought to tell the truth about the Bible. The preachers dare not, because they would be driven from their pulpits. Professors in colleges dare not, because they would lose their salaries. Politicians dare not. They would be defeated. Editors dare not. They would lose subscribers. Merchants dare not, because they might lose customers. Men of fashion dare not, fearing that they would lose caste. Even clerks dare not, because they might be discharged. And so I thought I would do it myself . . . " Robert G. Ingersoll., and another

#2: "God sacrificed his own son in place of humans who needed to be punished for their own sins might make some Christians love Jesus, but it is an obscene picture of God. It is almost heavenly child abuse, and may infect out imagination at more earthly levels as well. I do not want to express my faith through a theology that pictures God demanding blood sacrifices in order to be reconciled to us.", and yet another

#3: "Actually, the fact that we have four gospels lies at the very heart of our problem. Because we read particular parables or sayings and/or stories in several different versions, we can't miss the disagreements between them" - From "Who is Jesus" by John Dominic Crossan (35 years of searching for the historical Jesus and a former Catholic priest).

I have gone through the 4 Gospels, and there are so many contradictions amongst them (on any particular subject matter). And in none of them did Jesus ever claim to be son of God. This really baffles me... can somebody enlighten me?

The bible is riddled with contradictions, fake grants, murders, suicides, bigotry, slavery, animal and human sacrifices, a speaking snake, speaking donkey, jesus cursing a fig tree, and jesus ruining some farmers livelyhood by making use of working his pigs off a cliff to get the demons out of them. mind-blowing! yet christians believe. no longer the e book i desire my infants to be examining. If the bible is to be believed because of the fact the inspired words of god then god has no longer achieved good artwork. If god is the almighty, all loving, and all knowledgeable then the bible ought to have been written in techniques that each and every you could study and comprehend crystal sparkling of each and every of the meanings that god has placed forth in those books. it is no longer, and for hundreds of years human beings argue the meanings linked with the books of the bible. Hipocracy! The pope states that god is his protector, yet everywhere the pope is going he's surrounded by making use of heavily armed Swiss military protection, and rides in a bullitproof popemobile. Does that sound like god is the popes protector? What a comedian tale! yet catholics believe!

FIRST..... The Bible... DOES NOT... "Contradict Itself!"

SECOND.....

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

THIRD.....

It would be better.... FOR ALL CONCERNED..... IF... You would GET OFF.... YOUR .... Supposed INTELLECTUAL Thinking ABOUT YOUR SELF..... and Simply Communicate the GOSPEL... As Jesus Did !

FORTH....

(1Corintians 15:3-4) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

(1Co 15:4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Thanks for NOT Asking ! RR

the bible cannot contradict itself. It is the inspired word of God so where there are apparent contradictions one has to look at how they are both giving additional understanding to the one spiritual principle that is being discussed.

There are no contradictions... only an error in translation or a lack of spiritual understanding on the part of the reader.

• Gerry

The bible is a very complicated book, millions of people can read the bible and get different understandings of the bible. therefore we should not be taught from the bible, but we can read it for our own satisfaction!

Speaking of confusion. That is what I am feeling after trying to read your question.

I've never been told not to do that.