Why Canadians are so surprised when people immigrate from warm countries?

They always ask, why did you move from Venezuela, Mexico, Colombia, etc? It is nice there, warm all year round?

Nothing annoys me more, when trying to explain that not everything in life is weather !! Living conditions in those countries are miserable, even though it is warm or whatever, I think the only warm decent country in the world is Australia/New Zealand

Winter doesn't have to be bad, I'd rather be freezing in a snowstorm than be killed because someone wants to steal my car

Favorite Answer

Everybody wants what they don't have! Those Canadians are just thinking that living in your country would be like a vacation on the beach. Having a good life is more important than any bad weather. I've lived in the tropics and when it's hot, there's nothing you can do about it, when there's no A/C. When I lived in the southern US, I was stuck indoors with the A/C all summer long, because it was so hot. I'm originally from a farm region of the northern US When I went to live in Canada, I was often asked if I minded the cold weather and the lack of population. I had to tell them that the weather was the same and I had never lived in a city before I came to Canada.

Just explain why you moved here. Cold weather is fine! Our homes are heated, and we can put on warm clothes and enjoy the outdoors. Freedom and security are the most important things in the world!

• DTott

I do hear people here say that but I never have. People do associate places like Venezuela and Mexico with tourism and vacations but don't realize that the conditions for all the residents in those countries are different than the conditions are at the tourist resorts.

Personally, I've never made that comment to anyone. I'm different than most people as I don't like warm weather. Most people disagree with me, but I love it when it's cool and don't like the hot humid summer in Canada. It is cold during the winter, but I love fall and spring. My ideal weather is a nice cool, breezy day when the temperature is about 15 Celsius..

Well, the real canadians would be the natives but your Probably tlking about the white people. I don't knOw how they feel, nor do I care. Our population is not high at all, lmao. What planet are you on? Where I. Live (near toronto), the big houses, nice cars are owned by a lot of immigrants

Because we only think about the beautiful weather and the long winters here. Next time someone asks that question just tell them what you said in your post....the living conditions there are horrible. Commenting on the weather isn't meant to be an insult just said out of being naive.

because it is hard for us to fathom the conditions else where in America are really that bad and when we hear Mexico ,Venezuela...etc we think of tourist places not of dirty,poor countries where many struggle daily to make ends meet. Add that to our 7months of crappy weather here in Canada and you have your answer

I agree 100% with you.

I'm a canadian and I heard people say that and once myself I think I told that to someone.

when you think about it, its not something good to say.

I guess people who say those things don't think about it beforehand.

Calm down.

there just talking, making convo.

Winter sucks and sun is nice.

Take a downer

They move there because they want to exploit Canada.

Nothing surprizes me about Canadians either,try going to the beach and seeing a 300 pound one wearing a thong,OUCH!

Don't be so mean!