98 Ford Ranger Temperature gage Question?

When the vehicle warms up with the heater fan on, the temp needle does hardly moves past the very last line on the temp gauge, but when i turn the heater fan off, the needle will rise into the normal zone. When I turn the fan back on, the needle will go down. Any solutions? Thanks

Favorite Answer

Try a cooler opening t-stat

• Leslie

I used to own a 98 Ford Ranger. It was my first brand new car. It was a beautiful shade of light denim pearl. I owned it 2 years exactly half way through my payment book when the thing fell apart. They are the worst pieces of rolling junk on the market. My clutch went out at 30 thousand miles, and it was down hill from their. Finally my 4 wheel drive went bad but that was not before a 100 little things started in going wrong. No one would help us when we went back to the dealership because the guy who sold it too us was shot to death due to a lovers triangle thing shortly after we bought the truck from them. My advise get rid of it as soon as you can. Or at least go in and get an after market thermostat and see if that helps with your problem. Also change your tires. They come with the kind that disintegrate when they go flat.... 2 of mine did. Oh and forget about the reimbursement ....they don't have the Rangers type on the list. Oh and never put a topper on it or if you do make sure it is the lightest one made because the heavier ones make the pickup sides slit and crumble. Also never really treat it like a real truck because it only looks like one....underneath the facade it is a piece of dog SH*T.

I bought a 98' Ranger in December of 1997. Now well over 160,000 miles and all I've had to do to it to this point is replace the ball joints and alternator. Not bad for a 17 year old truck. It's pulled trailers, carried heavy loads of materials, ect. Sounds like Leslie has an axe to grind or just doesn't know how to drive and/or maintain a vehicle properly.

As for your problem, a thermostat replacement never hurts as they are cheap and easy to install. Although there is no indication it is going bad, I am about to replace my water pump on mine. The impellors go bad and start to rot after a period of time. I'm being proactive replacing mine so it doesn't cause any clogging problems in the heater core or radiator core.

Try a new thermostat.

• i geuss thats whats supposed to happen