Doctor would not treat my Grandchild?

My daughter has gone out of state on a 2 week vacation and left her children with me. She wrote a paper signed by herself and the kid's Dad giving me authorization to get the kids medical attention. Last night I took the 2 year old to the ER and they refused to treat him saying that I was not his parent. They finally got his Mom on her cell and accepted her over the phone authorization.

Any ideas what kind of legal document I need for this type of situation in the future? I cannot imagine what would have happened if this had been something more serious than the ear infection that it ended up being.

8 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Try a Power of Attorney. They can limited, unlimited, and set to a certain time as far as expiration date. I would my daughter and son-in-law to get one drawn up that would be good for 2 to 3 years, and you won't have to worry about it again, and you'll have it in case of a emergency. Remember, like I said, they can make it as limited as they want. Good Luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    It may have just been the Dr. Most Dr.'s will treat a child as long as they have the parents permission. I think it would be a good idea if you and your daughter drew up a letter stating that you have the authority to get medical attention the child needs. I know you already had a paper signed but you should get it notarized.That should solve any problems in the future.

    Source(s): personal experience
  • WilmaF
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    If your grandchild had a life-threatening illness or injury, I doubt very much the hospital would have delayed treatment because you weren't the child's legal guardian.

    All hospitals have teams of attorneys who advise them how to handle different situations so they don't get slapped with a lawsuit. They had no way to prove if those were authentic signatures on that piece of paper you showed them so they acted accordingly.

    I suppose it would be a good idea to ask someone at the hospital what to do for future reference.

  • NWIP
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Was the letter notarized if not then that is probably the first reason they wouldn't do it. You could have your next door neighbor do it and say it was your daughter. Your best bet is to get a Power of Attorney that is specific in that you are allowed to act on their behalf in the treatment of their children in any hospital. It should include their full names, birthdates, ID #'s (SS if they have one), as well as the parent's full names, address, Social security #'s too. This is a document they should have anyway in case something does happen to them. She should also have one for herself too.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    POA or a notarized document signed by you and the parents giving you permission to treat the child.

  • 1 decade ago

    did u have it notarized. i have my grands.. in summer..and had paper. the er accepted mine..and treated. it was notorized.

  • 1 decade ago

    The paper must be notorized... next time you will know... Very important...God bless****

  • 1 decade ago

    i would ask the doctors office for advice

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.