Why is it that no one at Panera knows what kind of apples they serve?

This truly happened. I have bee to 2 separate Panera restaurants and they each did not know what kind of apple they served. The first establishment said "There are different kinds of apples??"

The second time, I figured, hey, this guy is a MANAGER of sorts. He should know. I've worked in restaurant before and they have to order this stuff, usually from a local producer. You have to tell them what kind of apple you wan them to deliver. His answer was the best.

"Its .... uh ... red ... you know, like a fruit. LIKE A FRUIT??!! Yeah, cause I thought I was gonna get an Apple computer with my sandwich instead of chips. Ohhhh, oh, wait. You must of thought I was talking about those apple sandwiches. Yeah. Thats it.

With the helpfulness of the wonderful sandwich staff (no sarcasm intended), I did get to look at the apples, and they look like *maybe* fuji or gala.

Actually, I cant stand the taste of mcintosh apples, so I didn't want to waste my money. No one would think it rude if I asked what kind of chips? I figured the manager would know. I didn't ask the staff anymore after the first person didn't know because I didn't want to bother anyone. The second set of staff I asked, I happened to know them, so I wondered if they knew.

AND!

The question didn't say I was snotty to the working people at Panera. I am being a bit snotty on the question, cause, well, I am surprised at the manager's response. I am more surprised that Panera marketing and training didn't make sure they knew what kind of apples they provided. They are trained about all sorts of things, and their salads indicate the apple-type in it. I understand the working persons plight. I did service work for many many years and I was not snotty! So thpppt! This is me being snotty.

Favorite Answer

OMG....It is like a fruit...BTW to all you other snarky posters out there there are 8-10 different types of apples...My favorite is a red delicious, and if it isnt Red Delicious I dont want it...so maybe the reason she asked is the same reason

• forson

Panera Apple

Funny question -- I'm always surprised if I get anyting other than a plain old red delicious, which is okay, but not great.

I'm not surprised at an emplowyee not knowing -- as said before, they don't do the ordering. What surprises me is that no one said, "Hmmmm....you know, I really don't know. I'll have to see if I can find out....".....which is the correct way for restaurant staff to answer this sort of question.

As anyone who has ever had anything to do with restaurant management knows, the customer is always right -- even if the customer is asking a rather arcane question.

And I agree, the wait-staff at every Panera I've visited have been really great.

Source(s): love apples, eat at Panera often, family member managed a restaurant

It's a Fuji apple, dummies.

• Chele

I'll assume you didn't use the sarcasm to the people, as tempting as it is.

Unfortunately nowadays people feel they don't get paid enough to do their best at the job they have, so they do enough to get by. This goes for almost every job. We all know we've made that call where we basically feel we're doing someone else's work for them because they're not getting it done.

So just remember that as much as they didn't know their apples, you may find that one day someone's going to look to you for an answer at your job and you may not be able to tell them. It's at that point you'll either say to them "I'll try to find out for you" or you'll say to yourself "screw it like I make enough to do more work for the same pay it's not enought to make me go out of my way for you and your lame question"

• snoopy

So pretty much your intent at the restaurant was to feel superior.

This might be the most obnoxious post I've read today.

I hope that one day soon you will have enough self-esteem and self-worth that you won't find it necessary to try to put others down for not being familiar with apple varieties.

Get over yourself, hun.

(Honey Crisp is my personal new favorite... maybe I'll head down to panera and chastize them for not being familiar with that one... oh no wait, I'm not a jerk...)

OK I read some of your other "questions"... none of which were real questions but you have a bit of a sense of humor. Hopefully this post was satiracal... that would make you less of a snot, I guess... rofl

Does it matter as you can see the fruit they have on display and can decide if you want that type of apple? I have to agree with the other guy that this is a tad obnoxious. I can see if this was pertaining to a food allergy but they are apples and an apple is an apple.

It is because the apples come in on a truck, and none of the employees know or care to know what kind they are.

yea, panera's apples suck. last time i had one there it was the size of a shooting marble and was all mealy and tasteless. it doesn't really matter what kind of apples they have because they all fall under the category of sucky.

honey crisp or Fuji apple