What causes a "lump" to form under an armpit?

My wife found alump under her left armpit yesterday afternoon. What could cause this? I'm hoping that it is an allergic reaction, she is fearing cancer. Please help

Favorite Answer

As it's already been said, it could be an enlarged lymph gland. We have lymph glands all over our bodies, the primary locations being the spleen (the lymph organ), the groin, and armpits, and neck. These lymph glands help us fight infections when we are sick, and sometimes will swell or otherwise form little lumps in places like the pits or groin area. Has your wife recently had a cold, or some other type of infection? Possibly even an infected cut could cause a lymph swelling. If the lump isn't gone in a week or so, she should see a physician.

Like the previous answerer stated, your lymph nodes are under your armpits. But there are lots of things that it could be. Don't scare yourselves searching for answers on the web, just wait and see the doctor. Good Luck!

Check out the doctor for real answers if it has just appeared the likely hood that you have caught it in time is really good don't panic get the facts and then take whatever the prognosis is one step at a time

We have lymph nodes all over our bodies. Whenever we get any form of infection near one, it will drain to the nearest node. (I think they may filter or something like that)

It could be simple or serious. A Mammogram might be a good idea. But it could be a simple infection also.

Breastcancer.org. This was a very informative site.

Happy Holidays.

It could be something simple like an infection, but it could be serious. She should go to the Doctor next week for sure. Best luck.

Source(s): Lymphoma survivor - 8 years.

It could be various things. I would definitely get it checked. I had one and it was just that i bumped my arm so it caused a bump without a bruise. Best of luck!!!